Misplaced Capitol Police Gun Found in Boehner’s Bathroom by 7-Year-OldPosted: May 2, 2015
Ben Kamisar reports: Capitol Police officers misplaced their loaded guns in plain sight on at least three separate occasions, including once when a small child found the weapon, according to a Roll Call analysis of a Capitol Police Board report.
“The Department takes very seriously all breaches of Department rules and has established policies that address such matters.”
— Lt. Kimberly Schneider, a Capitol Police spokeswoman
One officer assigned to protect Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) left his gun in a toilet seat cover holder in a bathroom stall in the Capitol Visitor Center in January, according to the paper.
Another assigned to the detail of Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) left a firearm in the bathroom of the Speaker’s suite, where a 7- or 8-year-old visiting child discovered the gun. The Glock pistol left by Boehner’s detail does not have a traditional locking mechanism and could still be fired when left out, Roll Call reported.
“Each disciplinary matter is thoroughly investigated and reviewed, employees are held accountable for their conduct, and they are provided due process in adjudicating these matters. Depending on the nature and seriousness of the violation, an employee’s record, and other required considerations, an appropriate penalty is applied, up to and including termination of employment.”
A janitor found the third pistol out in the Capitol Police headquarters, according to the paper.
The report on the January incident reportedly shows that police brass recommended a six-day suspension without pay for the officer from McConnell’s detail as punishment, but Roll Call reports that the other two incidents are still under investigation.
“As a matter of policy, the Department does not routinely discuss internal personnel matters, in order to maintain the integrity of the Department.”
Boehner spokesman Michael Steel declined to comment on the incidents, referring questions to Capitol Police.
“The Department takes very seriously all breaches of Department rules and has established policies that address such matters,” Lt. Kimberly Schneider, a Capitol Police spokeswoman, told Roll Call in an email….(read more)
- Child found loaded gun in John Boehner’s bathroom: report (nydailynews.com)
- Child Found a Loaded Firearm in John Boehner’s Bathroom: Report (theepochtimes.com)
- Child finds loaded gun in House Speaker John Boehner’s Capitol bathroom (salon.com)
- Child Reportedly Finding Loaded Gun In John Boehner’s Capitol Suite Bathroom … – New York Daily … (popist.com)
- What a Child Found in Boehner’s Bathroom Has Capitol Police in Hot Water (ijreview.com)
- Capitol Police Keep Leaving Their Guns in the Bathroom (freebeacon.com)
- A Child Discovered a Gun Left by Police in John Boehner’s Capitol Bathroom (dcinno.streetwise.co)