Baltimore Rioting Damage: $9 MillionPosted: May 13, 2015
Damage from rioting in Baltimore over the death of a black man from injuries in police custody is estimated at $9 million, a U.S. government survey showed on Wednesday.
The survey by the Small Business Administration found that more than 30 businesses and one home sustained major damage between April 25 and May 3 in unrest sparked by the death of Freddie Gray, 25.
“The Baltimore Development Corp, a non-profit group that promotes economic development, said 351 business reported damages and inventory loss.”
The survey also found 254 businesses and one home experienced minor damage.
Damages to businesses totaled $8,927,000, and to homes $60,000, a Small Business Administration spokeswoman said.
“The mayor’s office has said 144 vehicles were set ablaze.”
Maryland Senator Barbara Mikulski, in a letter on Tuesday also signed by fellow Maryland Democratic Senator Ben Cardin and U.S. Democratic Representative Elijah Cummings, called on the Small Business Administration to help with the creation of disaster centers.
They also urged the agency to come up with a plan to inform business owners who are eligible for benefits about how to apply for disaster loan assistance.
A spokesman for the Baltimore Fire Department said the city recorded 61 structural fires over April 27 and 28, during the height of the arson and looting. The mayor’s office previously said that 15 buildings were burned.
The spokesman had no update for the number of burned vehicles. The mayor’s office has said 144 vehicles were set ablaze.
The Baltimore Development Corp, a non-profit group that promotes economic development, said 351 business reported damages and inventory loss, a spokeswoman said…. (read more)
- Baltimore rioting damage estimate at $9 million: U.S. government (oddonion.com)
- Baltimore Rioting Damage Estimate at $9 Million (teaparty.org)
- Van Hollen calls on Lynch to visit Baltimore (cnn.com)
- The Baltimore Riots Cost an Estimated $9 Million In Damages (time.com)
- CNN to Baltimore Lawmaker: Aren’t Democratic Policies Responsible for Baltimore Failings? (VIDEO) (thegatewaypundit.com)
- AWFUL… CNN Reporter Blames US War Veterans for Baltimore Rioting (VIDEO) (thegatewaypundit.com)