‘Float Like a Bee, Sting Like a Butterfly’: Mitt Romney Lasts Two Rounds with Evander Holyfield in Charity Boxing MatchPosted: May 15, 2015
SALT LAKE CITY – Former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and five-time heavyweight boxing champion Evander Holyfield squared off in the ring Friday at a charity fight night event in Salt Lake City.
Romney, 68, and Holyfield, 52, sparred, if you could call it that, for just two short rounds before Romney ran away from the boxer and threw in the towel, giving up a round early in the lighthearted fight that came amid several other fights by professional boxers and an auction.
“You know what? You float like a bee and sting like a butterfly.”
The two barely threw any punches and largely just danced around, occasionally lightly jabbing each other in the midsection in what was much more of a comedic event than an actual bout.
The black-tie affair raised money for the Utah-based organization CharityVision, which helps doctors in developing countries perform surgeries to restore vision in people with curable blindness.
Romney’s son Josh Romney, who lives in Utah, serves as a volunteer president for CharityVision.
Corporate sponsorships for the event ranged from $25,000 to $250,000. Organizers say they raised at least $1 million.
“He said, ‘You know what? You float like a bee and sting like a butterfly,'” Romney said after the fight….(read more)
- Tale of The Tape Between Evander Holyfield and Mitt Romney For Their Charity Boxing Match (techtimes.com)
- Romney vs. Holyfield Fight Night (Yes, This Is Real) (abcnews.go.com)
- Mitt Romney to box Evander Holyfield for charity (telegraph.co.uk)
- Evander Holyfield to face off with ex-Presidential candidate Mitt Romney for charity boxing match (itv.com)
- VANILLA IN MANILLA! The Match-Up You’ve Been Waiting for: Evander Holyfield vs. Mitt Romney Charity Boxing Event May 15th (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Mitt Romney to Fight Evander Holyfield in Charity Bout (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Ouch! Greg Guttfeld on Romney-Holyfield Fight: “I Guess He Likes Getting Beaten by Black Guys” (VIDEO) (thegatewaypundit.com)