Matisse Painting Looted by Nazis Returned to Jewish Art Dealer’s HeirsPosted: May 16, 2015
A valuable piece of modern art is finally being returned to the heirs of an art dealer who fled the Nazis.
“The pieces had been stashed in the apartment because Gurlitt’s father, an art dealer named Hildebrand Gurlitt, had helped broker deals between Nazis who traded modern art—works Nazis derisively called ‘degenerate art.’”
The artwork, Matisse’s Seated Woman,was eventually intercepted by German authorities in 2010 after they stopped an elderly man, Cornelius Gurlitt, on a train from Zurich to Munich for carrying a large amount of money on him, NPR reports. They then inspected his apartment, where they found more than 1,000 works by artists including Chagall, Degas and Renoir, worth an estimated $1 billion.
The pieces had been stashed in the apartment because Gurlitt’s father, an art dealer named Hildebrand Gurlitt, had helped broker deals between Nazis who traded modern art—works Nazis derisively called “degenerate art.”
One painting in particular, Matisse’s Seated Woman, was among the billion-dollar art cache….(read more)
- Matisse Painting Looted by Nazis Returned to Rightful Jewish Heirs (israelnationalnews.com)
- Will Cornelius Gurlitt’s Collection Turn Up at Documenta 14? (hyperallergic.com)
- Jewish owner’s heirs get looted Matisse painting (arkansasonline.com)
- Matisse work from art trove returned to owner’s heirs (stltoday.com)
- Looted By The Nazis, Matisse’s ‘Seated Woman’ Finally Finds Her Way Home (nepr.net)
- Germany’s Investigating Claims That it Illegally Spied on Europe for NSA (gizmodo.co.uk)
- German regions need more funds for refugee surge – state leader (channelnewsasia.com)
- Auschwitz guard: I’m innocent (nzherald.co.nz)
- Greece Running Anti-German Propaganda on Metro Lines in Athens (dailystormer.com)