Iraq’s Public Face: Former Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister Tariq Aziz Dies in Prison at 79Posted: June 5, 2015
Al Jazeera reports: Tariq Aziz, Iraq’s former deputy prime minister and foreign minister, has died in prison aged 79 years old.
Iraqi officials said Aziz, who was one of the former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein’s top deputies, died on Friday afternoon after suffering a heart attack on Thursday.
Al Jazeera has learnt that Aziz’s son, Ziad, expressed outrage that Iraqi officials had not informed him of his father’s death, and he had instead found out through local media reports.
Aziz was Iraq’s foreign minister between 1983 and 1991 and deputy prime minister between 1979 and 2003.
He was sentenced to death by the Iraqi High Tribunal in 2010 for his role in human-rights abuses committed under the former government, which was overthrown in 2003 when Iraq was invaded by a US-led alliance.
Iraq’s public face
Aziz surrendered to US forces shortly after the invasion and had been a prisoner since.
“There will be no eulogies for him, no day of mourning for him. He was hated as a member of the former regime,” he said.
One of the best known face of Saddam’s Iraq, Aziz travelled globally where he defended his leader from the many allegations of abuses he was accused of….(read more)
- Saddam Henchman Tariq Aziz Dead at 79: Report (newser.com)
- Iraq Might Have Lost 2,300 Armored US Humvees to the Islamic State in Mosul (news.vice.com)
- Tariq Aziz, Iraqi foreign minister under Saddam Hussein, dies in prison (theglobeandmail.com)
- Tariq Aziz, Saddam Hussein’s Foreign Minister and Confidant, Dies Prison (guardianlv.com)
- Al Jazeera names director of programmes Giles Trendle as acting MD for English division (mumbrella.com.au)
- Tariq Aziz dead: Saddam Hussein’s deputy dies of heart attack while awaiting death sentence (independent.co.uk)
- Iraq Officials: Tariq Aziz, Top Aide to Saddam Hussein, Has Died in Hospital in Southern Iraq (abcnews.go.com)
- Tariq Aziz, top aide to Saddam Hussein, dies in hospital (stripes.com)
- Iraq’s Tariq Aziz ‘dies in prison’ (oddonion.com)