BREAKING: Algeria Gas Plant Attack Leader Mokhtar Belmokhtar Killed by U.S. Air StrikePosted: June 14, 2015
A senior Islamist militant who ordered the deadly attack on an Algerian gas plant two years ago has been killed in a US air strike, Libyan officials say
However, there have been several false reports of his death in the past.
The Pentagon said it had targeted a “mid-level” al-Qaeda operative, giving few details.
It said Saturday’s operation had been successful but did not name the target, saying officials were still assessing whether it had been successful.
Born in Algeria, Belmokhtar was a former senior figure in al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), but left to form his own militia.
He gained notoriety with the attack on the In Amenas gas plant in Algeria in 2013, when about 800 people were taken hostage and 38 killed…(read more)
- U.S. Airstrike Targets al Qaeda Operative Mokhtar Belmokhtar (abc7.com)
- US hits ‘al-Qaeda’ militant in Libya (bbc.co.uk)
- U.S. Airstrike Targets al Qaeda Operative Mokhtar Belmokhtar (7online.com)
- Al-Qaeda militant Mokhtar Belmokhtar ‘killed in US airstrike’ in Libya: latest (telegraph.co.uk)
- Algeria Gas Plant Terrorist Killed By Airstrike (news.sky.com)
- U.S. airstrike targeted terrorist Mokhtar Belmokhtar inside Libya, officials say (gantdaily.com)
- U.S. airstrike targeted terrorist in Libya (wyff4.com)