Simon Kent: BBC Admits ‘Jews’ Anti-Semitism In Israel CoveragePosted: July 12, 2015 Filed under: Mediasphere | Tags: Adolf Hitler's rise to power, Angela Merkel, Antisemitism, Arabic Language, BBC, Benjamin Netanyahu, Gaza War, Golders Green, Israel, Jews, London, Neo-Nazism, The Jewish Chronicle, United Nations Human Rights Council 1 Comment
Simon Kent reports: Being economical with the truth is a BBC speciality. After all it views the world through a prism of oh-so-trendy left-wing morality so massaging the truth into something more palatable to its own world perspective is, sadly, a given.
Viewers had another taste of the public broadcaster’s distorted views last night when BBC Two aired an hour-long documentary called Children of the Gaza War presented by chief international correspondent Lyse Doucett. She typified the truism that ‘neutral’ for a BBC reporter is left-of-centre for everyone else – Guardian readers excepted.
Doucett’s report was all pretty anodyne stuff and purported to show the Palestinian conflict through the eyes of children from both sides during and after the 50-day war last summer. Except something got lost in translation. That something was the truth.
Throughout the programme the word “Israelis” was substituted for “Jews” in the on-screen translation of interviews with Palestinian children. In one instance, a Gazan child says the “yahud” are massacring Palestinians. However the subtitles read: “Israel is massacring us”.
There were other examples where Palestinian children were routinely interviewed and used the word ‘yahud’ meaning Jew. BBC translators again insisted on using the word ‘Israelis’ instead.
According to the Jewish Chronicle, the BBC was aware of the translation substitution but the broadcaster chose to defend itself on the grounds of its own interpretation. The Chronicle reports that when challenged, Canada-born Ms Doucet said…(read more)
Follow Simon Kent on Twitter: or e-mail to: email@example.com
- Report: Netanyahu asked European leaders to vote against Israel at U.N. (jta.org)
- The history – and the BBC Trust decision – behind Lyse Doucet’s mistranslation of ‘yahud’ (bbcwatch.org)
- Yahud or Israeli (gilad.co.uk)
- Local Jewish Patrols Report Two Antisemitic Attacks Against Jewish Property in London Borough (algemeiner.com)
- Golders Green Demo: Jewish Chronicle: “Fascists To Burn Copy Of Talmud.” (ufohunterorguk.com)
- Report: Israel Asked Britain to Vote In Favor of UNHRC Resolution (jpupdates.com)
- Prague Railway Station Could be Named After ‘British Schindler’ (israelnationalnews.com)
[…] Admits ‘Jews’ Anti-Semitism in Israel Coverage,” July 9, 2015; breitbart.com.: https://punditfromanotherplanet.com/2015/07/12/simon-kent-bbc-admits-jews-anti-semitism-in-israel-cov…; (breitbart: […]