NSA Chief: ‘More Cyberattacks Likely’ in Wake of Office of Personnel Management HackPosted: July 16, 2015 | |
The U.S. should brace itself for more attacks like one on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management—in which millions of sensitive government records were stolen, the director of the National Security Agency warned on Wednesday. As WSJ’s Robert Wall and Alexis Flynn report:
The U.S. government last week said that two cyberattacks on the agency compromised more than 21 million Social Security numbers, 1.1 million fingerprint records, and 19.7 million forms with data that could include a person’s mental-health history.
“I don’t expect this to be a one-off,” said Navy Adm. Mike Rogers,who heads the NSA and the U.S. military’s Cyber Command.
The incident is causing the government to review cybersecurity policies, he added. “As we are working through the aftermath of OPM,” Adm. Rogers said one of the questions is “what is the right vision for the way forward in how we are going to deal with things like this.”…Read the full story on WSJ
- Hackers Stole Social Security Numbers From 21.5 Million People In Recent Data Breach, U.S. Says (huffingtonpost.com)
- Hackers steal 21 million U.S. social security numbers (cbc.ca)
- 25 Million Records Affected by Hacking: U.S. Personnel Office (jpupdates.com)
- US personnel office – more than 25 million records affected by hacking (channelnewsasia.com)
- 25 Million People Had Data Stolen In OPM Hack, Officials Confirm (techtimes.com)
- Estimate of Americans hit by govt personnel data hack skyrockets (trust.org)