Parents Dedicate New College Safe Space In Honor Of Daughter Who Felt Weird In Class OncePosted: July 16, 2015
Alexis Stigmore had to endure 40 harrowing minutes of class in a distressed state, forced to look at the world through the eyes of a set of people she disagreed with. Now there is a safe space dedicated in her honor.
LYNNFIELD, MA—In an effort to provide sanctuary for Lynnfield College students exposed to perspectives different from their own, a new campus safe space was dedicated Wednesday in honor of Alexis Stigmore, a 2009 graduate who felt kind of weird in class one time.
“When our Alexis felt weird after hearing someone discuss an idea that did not conform to her personally held beliefs, she had no place to turn.”
Addressing students at the dedication ceremony, parents Arnold and Cassie Stigmore noted that while the college had adequate facilities to assist victims of discrimination, abuse, and post-traumatic stress, it had until now offered no comparable safe space for students, like their beloved daughter, who encounter an academic viewpoint that gives them an uncomfortable feeling.
“If unfamiliar thoughts are ever provoked in your mind, or in the mind of someone you know, you can come to this place and feel safe again.”
“When our Alexis felt weird after hearing someone discuss an idea that did not conform to her personally held beliefs, she had no place to turn,” said Arnold Stigmore, standing outside the $2 million space that reportedly features soothing music, neutral-colored walls, oversized floor cushions, fun board games, and a variety of snacks. “God forbid any of you, in your years at this institution, are ever confronted with an opinion you do not share. But if you are, you will have a refuge on this campus.”
“As a parent, I’ll always wish I could have been there for her in that lecture hall, protecting her from those unwelcome concepts.”
“If unfamiliar thoughts are ever provoked in your mind, or in the mind of someone you know, you can come to this place and feel safe again,” he added.
As they have done often over the years, the Stigmores spoke openly about the time their daughter attended a class in which her political science professor “completely ambushed” her with standard course material that did not fit comfortably within her world outlook. Feeling unsettled, the college student reportedly had no way of coping with the challenging position that did not require her to consider the opinion, analyze its shortcomings, and think of possible counterarguments….(read more)
- Colorado rejects medical marijuana for PTSD treatment (bangordailynews.com)
- The fight for free speech on campus depends on this overlooked group (thecollegefix.com)
- Even NYT Thinks Colleges Are Taking Political Correctness Too Far (dailycaller.com)
- Devastating: WaPo report strongly suggests Jackie made up the UVA rape story whole cloth (hotair.com)
- US Marine SUSPENDED from College After Requesting Non-Muslim Counselor (thegatewaypundit.com)
- “Pre-Traumatic Stress Disorder” (nationalreview.com)
- JAMES TARANTO: Parental Guidance Requested: College students want warning labels on literature. … (pjmedia.com)
- UC Riverside Students Can’t Handle Abortion Foes, DEMAND TRIGGER WARNINGS (dailycaller.com)
- Pre-Traumatic Stress Disorder (city-journal.org)