THE PANTSUIT REPORT: 39%Posted: July 16, 2015
Poll: Clinton’s standing falls among Democrats
WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton’s standing is falling among Democrats, and voters view her as less decisive and inspiring than when she launched her presidential campaign just three months ago, according to a new Associated Press-GfK poll.
The survey offers a series of warning signs for the leading Democratic candidate. Most troubling,
perhaps, for her prospects are questions about her compassion for average Americans, a quality that fueled President Barack Obama’s two White House victories.
Just 39 percent of all Americans have a favorable view of Clinton, compared to nearly half who say they have a negative opinion of her. That’s an eight-point increase in her unfavorable rating from an AP-GfK poll conducted at the end of April.
The drop in Clinton’s numbers extends into the Democratic Party. Seven in 10 Democrats gave Clinton positive marks, an 11-point drop from the April survey. Nearly a quarter of Democrats now say they see Clinton in an unfavorable light.
“I used to like her, but I don’t trust her,” said Donald Walters of Louisville, Kentucky. “Ever since she’s announced her candidacy for the presidency I just haven’t liked the way she’s handled things. She doesn’t answer questions directly.”
While Clinton’s approval rating fell, Obama’s stayed constant at 46 percent since April. More than 8 in 10 Democrats have a positive view of the president.
At least part of Clinton’s decline may be due to questions about her character, a topic Republicans have been trying to make central to the 2016 campaign. In ads, stump speeches and online videos, they paint her as a creature of Washington who flouts the rules to get ahead.
While Clinton has spent decades in the public eye, she’s focused in recent months on creating a more relatable — and empathetic — image. In public events, she frequently talks about her new granddaughter, Charlotte, and references her early career as a legal advocate for impoverished children.
The survey suggests that voters aren’t sold on her reinvention: Only 4 in 10 voters say they view Clinton as “compassionate.” Just 3 in 10 said the word “honest” described her either very or somewhat well…(read more)
- THE PANTSUIT REPORT: Bill and Hillary Clinton Ordered to Give Depositions About Emails in Civil Case (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Disloyal Pool Reporter Told to Hit the Woods (moonbattery.com)
- Hillary Clinton – Hacking problem not limited to China | Reuters (firstpost.com)
- Hillary Clinton, DC Diva (capitolcityproject.com)
- Hillary Clinton isn’t a fan of Uber-style contracted workers (autoblog.com)
- Hillary Clinton Lands Endorsement from American Federation of Teachers (youngcons.com)
- #BASTA: Hillary Clinton Campaign Trolls Donald Trump in Spanish (hinterlandgazette.com)
- The Insiders: I give Hillary Clinton’s CNN interview a ‘C’ (washingtonpost.com)
- WASHINGTON: ‘ Hillary Clinton wades in on the #UBER debate over work type Practices ‘ (acenewsservices.wordpress.com)
- Hillary Clinton has no ‘beef’ with Uber, aide says (sundiatapost.com)