Anguish, Grief, and Despair: New York Times Caves, Puts Ted Cruz Book on Bestseller ListPosted: July 17, 2015
Depressed New York Times staffers, reported to be on suicide watch since the scandal began, struggle to endure the hardship of working at a newspaper that accurately lists Ted Cruz’s bestselling book.
KATIE MCHUGH reports: The New York Times acknowledged on Wednesday that the book, A Time for Truth, belongs on its best-seller list and gave it a no. 7 ranking in nonfiction, after snubbing it and accusing the Cruz campaign of making “strategic bulk purchases.”
Harper Collins sent an inquiring email to The New York Times last week after the book’s impressive sales were ignored by the paper.
“We have uniform standards that we apply to our best seller list, which includes an analysis of book sales that goes beyond simply the number of books sold,” spokeswoman Eileen Murphy said, according to Politico. “This book didn’t meet that standard this week.”
[Order Ted Cruz’s bestselling book – excluded by the New York Times! “A Time for Truth: Reigniting the Promise of America” from Amazon.com]
Cruz’s campaign furiously attacked The New York Times for their deliberate omission.
“The Times is presumably embarrassed by having their obvious partisan bias called out. But their response — alleging ‘strategic bulk purchases’ — is a blatant falsehood. The evidence is directly to the contrary. In leveling this false charge, the Times has tried to impugn the integrity of Senator Cruz and of his publisher HarperCollins,” Cruz campaign spokesperson Rick Tyler told Politico on Friday.
Amazon also pushed back. An Amazon spokeswoman said that A Time for Truth: was a bestselling book and they found no evidence of “unusual bulk purchase activity.” Cruz’s book currently ranks as the number-one best-selling book in “Political Conservatism & Liberalism” on Amazon.
The New York Times backed down on Wednesday without apology…(read more)
Email Katie at email@example.com.
- Ted Cruz hits the jackpot: A book war with the New York Times (washingtonpost.com)
- N.Y. Times Keeps Cruz Off Best Seller List (conservativeangle.com)
- Brendan Bordelon: New York Times Exposed; Publisher Finds ‘No Evidence’ for NYT’s Exclusion of Cruz’s Book from Bestseller List (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Ted Cruz vs. the New York Times (powerlineblog.com)
- New York Times Caves, Places Cruz Book on Bestseller List (teaparty.org)
- Bias? (rightwinggranny.com)
- Presidential Hopeful Ted Cruz’s Memoir Lands on the NYT Best-Seller List – Finally (the-digital-reader.com)
- The NY Times Gave Up, Includes Cruz’s Book (shark-tank.com)