Will Slain Marines Mean an End to the Department of Defense’s Gun Ban?Posted: July 18, 2015
Most military personnel, except for those on field maneuvers or MPs, are not allowed to be armed on base.
Mike Glenn writes: On Friday, Defense Secretary Ash Carter approved what the Pentagon referred to as “immediate force protection steps” in the wake of Thursday’s mass shootings in Chattanooga, Tenn. that left four U.S. Marines dead and a Navy Sailor wounded. A press release from the Defense Department did not elaborate on the measures.
One of the shootings was at a local recruiting station. I’ve heard some people say these offices – where young people usually get their first notion of what military life is all about – should have security barriers to prevent such tragedies. Beyond the fact that the accused Chattanooga shooter never went inside the office, I think that’s going to be a non-starter for an obvious reason.
Military recruiters rely on casual walk-in traffic to help make their quota. That’s why the offices can often be found in strip shopping centers or malls. If you start forcing potential Marines, Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen to pass through x-ray machines and take off their shoes like they are going through a TSA line at the airport before they ever step foot in the office, many of them are simply going to take a pass on a hitch in the military
Carter also asked the military services to give him suggestions for ensuring the safety of service members at military installations. But will he allow service members to defend themselves?
Most military personnel, except for those on field maneuvers or MPs, are not allowed to be armed on base. That means in Texas, with its relaxed views on private ownership of firearms, some of the most stringent anti-gun regulations can be found in places like Fort Hood, Fort Bliss, Lackland Air Force Base and the Corpus Christi Naval Air Station…(read more)
- ‘War is here on US soil’: Ft. Hood victim says Obama WH needs to get head out of a** (bizpacreview.com)
- Jihad on U.S. Troops Is Not a “Circumstance” (sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com)
- Four Marines killed in Tennessee shooting (worldbulletin.net)
- FBI, Military Hunt Ex-Army Recruit – John Thomas Booker, Jr. – Suspected of Plotting “Ft. Hood-inspired Jihad” (thegatewaypundit.com)
- TRANSPARENCY: Medical staff warned: Keep your mouths shut about illegal immigrants or face arrest. … (pjmedia.com)
- Jihad on U.S. troops is not a “circumstance” (michellemalkin.com)
- Obama Names Liberal Social Justice “Ethics” Professor, Paul M. Lewis As “Guantanamo Closer” (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Victims of ‘workplace violence’ incident at Fort Hood to finally receive Purple Heart (hotair.com)
- Report: State Department ordered U.S. Marines to disarm during Yemen embassy evacuation (hotair.com)
- FLASHBACK: 2009 Fort Hood Hero Kimberly Munley: Obama Betrayed Her, Other Victims (punditfromanotherplanet.com)