Stephanie Rawlings-Blake Update: Baltimore Mayor’s Aides Wanted to Send ‘Scouts’ Ahead of Her Appearances Amid Curfew AngerPosted: July 29, 2015
Some community members questioned the mayor’s actions and level of visibility during and after the riots.
Kevin Rector reports: Nearly a week after Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake instituted a curfew in Baltimore following rioting and looting — and just one day before she lifted it — top mayoral aides were concerned about her safety amid a growing community tension.
In a May 2 email to other aides and top deputies, Gus Augustus, director of the Mayor’s Office of Neighborhoods, said he had been at Mondawmin Mall that morning and did not recommend the mayor go there because “it was very sketchy and tense.”
“Gus Augustus, director of the Mayor’s Office of Neighborhoods, said he had been at Mondawmin Mall that morning and did not recommend the mayor go there because ‘it was very sketchy and tense.'”
“Folks want the curfew lifted,” Augustus wrote.
He recommended the city send “community folks up there to assist” instead.
He also said that while there were “many options” for where the mayor could meet with community members the following day, her team would “need scouts on the ground.”
Some community members questioned the mayor’s actions and level of visibility during and after the unrest. Many expressed frustration with the curfew, particularly toward the latter part of the week…(read more)
- Bystander Throws Water On Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake (baltimore.cbslocal.com)
- Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake says Baltimore Wasn’t Fully Prepared for Riot (blackchristiannews.com)
- Breaking: Baltimore Chief Police Anthony Batts Fired As Violence Spirals Out of Control (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Baltimore Officials: Peaceful Protesters Torched 61 Buildings, Damaged 350 Businesses, Injured 113 Officers (thegatewaypundit.com)
- With 27 Shootings This Weekend, Baltimore Sees Its Most Violent Month This Century [VIDEO] (dailycaller.com)
- Rioting intensifies in Baltimore; liberal narratives among the casualties (powerlineblog.com)
- In Wake Of Riots, Baltimore Demands More Money For Programs (dailycaller.com)
- Baltimore Mayor’s Staffers Jumping Ship (legalinsurrection.com)
- #BaltimoreRiots: Violence Breaks Out in Baltimore After Freddie Gray’s Funeral (punditfromanotherplanet.com)