‘Bill Cosby Tried to Ban Me From TV’Posted: July 30, 2015
“Cosby, seeing me asleep in the chaperone’s lap, had made it his business to ‘warn’ other shows that I wasn’t ‘suitable family entertainment,’ was probably a lesbian, and shouldn’t be on television.”
Ian penned a Facebook post this week, sharing her own story about her personal experience with Cosby.
“I have a personal stake,” she wrote, linking to the recent New York Magazine cover story in which 35 Cosby accusers told their stories. “No, I was not sexually bothered by Bill Cosby. We met because he was curious about me.”
She wrote that her story began when her hit, “Society’s Child,” dominated the charts when she was only sixteen years old. She then made an appearance on the variety show “The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.” Due to months of being on the road and the controversy surrounding “Society’s Child,” Ian said she was exhausted at the show’s taping.
“I needed to sleep. So I fell asleep in my chaperone’s lap. She was earth motherly, I was scared. It was good to rest,” she wrote.
Shortly after the taping, Ian was informed that she had been blackballed from appearing on television.
“A while later, my manager called me into her office,” she recounted. “‘What happened at the Smothers Brothers show?!’ I had no idea what she was talking about, and said so. ‘Well, no one else on TV is willing to have you on.’”
According to Ian, her manager explained…(read more)
- Janis Ian: Bill Cosby tried to ban me from TV because he thought I was gay (pinknews.co.uk)
- Bill Cosby Was Her SMOTHERS BROTHERS Keeper (boyculture.com)
- Janis Ian Says Bill Cosby Banned Her From TV Show Because He Thought She Was ‘Probably A Lesbian’ (noise11.com)
- Janis Ian Shares Traumatic Personal Story About Bill Cosby (stereogum.com)
- Folk Singer Janis Ian: Bill Cosby Blackballed Me From TV as a Teen (advocate.com)