Apple Exploring Original Programming Move, Could Compete with NetflixPosted: August 31, 2015
Sources indicate the Cupertino, Calif. colossus has held preliminary conversations in recent weeks with executives in Hollywood to suss out their interest in spearheading efforts to produce entertainment content. The unit putting out the feelers reports into Eddy Cue, who is Apple’s point man on all content-related matters, from its negotiations with programmers for Apple TV to its recent faceoff with Taylor Swift.
An Apple spokesperson declined comment.
The scale of Apple’s ambitions vary depending on whom is asked, but one high-level executive who talked with the company said the goal is to create development and production divisions that would churn out long-form content to stream in a bid to compete with Netflix. Apple is hoping to put a headhunting firm on those hires in the coming months, according to source, with the goal of being in operation next year. Unknown is whether the focus is on TV series, movies–or both….(read more)
- Jimmy Iovine Talks Apple Music, Competing Services, and Apple’s Reaction to Taylor Swift’s Letter (macrumors.com)
- Taylor Swift shocked by streaming success (contactmusic.com)
- Apple Music crushing it with 11m subscribers (cultofmac.com)
- How Taylor Swift Won Summer of 2015 – Whether You Like It or Not (thewrap.com)
- Apple was licensing Sony’s 4K content as early as 2013 (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- iOS 8.4 to be released 8 AM PT on Tuesday, iTunes Match song limit will increase to 100,000 with iOS 9 (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Apple Releases iOS Update With Apple Pay (dailycaller.com)
- IF APPLE BLOCKS ADS, WHO WOULD NOTICE? “Consumers will like this feature, and it won’t cost Apple a… (pjmedia.com)