NO LONGER A SHOCK: As Americans Bought 170 Million Guns, Violent Crime Fell 51%Posted: August 31, 2015
On August 28, the NRA presented ATF and FBI data showing Americans have purchased “170 million new guns” since 1991, and violent crime has fallen “51 percent.”
“The overarching message is simple—more guns, less crime. Americans have purchased “170 million new guns” since 1991, and violent crime has decreased as gun ownership has increased.”
This information squares with the findings of a Congressional Research Service (CRS) study covering the slightly shorter period of time from 1994 to 2009.
For those years, CRS found that Americans purchased approximately 118 million firearms, and the 1993 “firearm-related murder and non-negligent homicide” rate of 6.6 per 100,000 fell to 3.6 per 100,000 by the year 2000. It eventually fell all the way to 3.2 per 100,000 in 2011.
That is more than a 50 percent reduction in “firearm-related murder and non-negligent homicide.”
Then, in 2009—the year the CRS study ended…(read more)
Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at email@example.com.
It’s not like this hasn’t been documented multiple times. Here are just a few examples of our coverage of the gun rights/gun control debate, civil rights, and crime statistics, followed by external links.
- Lies about guns permeate the firearms debate (triblive.com)
- Commentary: Gun laws, gun lies (elkodaily.com)
- NYT Correspondent Says Gun Grab is only Way to Make “Big Impact on Violent Crime” (youngcons.com)
- Guess who’s arming up in self-defense? Women and blacks now acquiring concealed carry permits in record numbers (theunhivedmind.com)
- US Pusing War, Meanwhile Russia Is Preparing For War (financearmageddon.blogspot.com)
- Gun Control Lies (reason.com)
- Americans now know: More guns = less crime (jsonline.com)