Nicholas Cage’s 1954 Bugatti Roadster For SalePosted: September 3, 2015
Alanna Martinez reports: Actor Nicolas Cage is a known connoisseur of the finer things in life: mint-condition comic books, desirable real estate, and of course, bespoke cars. One of the rarest vehicles he’s owned, a 1954 Bugatti 101 is heading to auction in France September 5 in Bonhams’ upcoming Chantilly Sale, giving car enthusiasts and the actor’s biggest fans alike a chance to own a piece of automobile history.
After World War II and several deaths in the Bugatti family, its legendary Molsheim factory faced hard times. In 1951, it began planning a re-launch of updated, pre-war model road cars, but production stalled and only seven Type 101 cars were made.
Mr. Cage’s car, the 101504, is a two-seater, fixed-head coupé with body work done by Spanish chassis designer Jean Antem in 1954. It was originally painted green with a beige interior, now black and red.
According to Bonhams, Mr. Cage bought the car around the time he starred in the film Gone in 60 Seconds, in which, for the unfamiliar, he played former car thief Randall “Memphis” Raines who is forced back into a life of crime in order to save his brother’s life.
Mr. Cage, however, did not steal this Bugatti; he bought it from British classic car dealer Nick Harley before selling it not much later, in 2003. “As life imitates art, Cage, like his character, also has a passion for rare and beautiful motor cars, the Bugatti 101 the perfect example,” reads the a press release for the sale….(read more)
Photo: The 1954 Bugatti Type 101C Coupé , with coachwork by Antem. The car was once owned by American actor Nicholas Cage. (Photo: Bonhams)
- Nicolas Cage Slams “TMZ Culture” and the Decline of Film Criticism (techgadgettalk.com)
- Nicolas Cage, Swimming Pool Drownings, And Why Correlation Does Not Imply Causation (rjmetrics.com)
- Nicolas Cage Is Joined By Son Weston at ‘The Runner’ Premiere! (justjared.com)
- Trailer For Nicolas Cage’s Supernatural Halloween Thriller PAY THE GHOST (geektyrant.com)
- The most beautiful plane never flown is just weeks from its maiden flight (computermagazine.com)
- Bugatti To Preview New Design Language With Vision GT Concept–Photo Update (motorauthority.com)
- Bugatti Making Car For Gran Turismo Project (techtimes.com)