Pulp Fiction: ‘Mitt Romney Should Save the Republican Party and Join the 2016 Race’Posted: September 3, 2015
Michael Brenden Dougherty writes: “Mitt wants to run. He never stopped wanting to run,” an anonymous senior adviser of Mitt Romney’s 2012 presidential campaign recently told New York magazine. Other members of Romneyworld have denied the former governor is interested in another campaign. But at this stage in the 2016 race, Mitt Romney should start preparing to get back in the arena.
Romney should be ready to enter the field to save his party from an awful reckoning between its leadership and its base, a reckoning that has been brought on by Donald Trump’s campaign. Trump has proven that the “strongest GOP primary field in 30 years” is no such thing, creating an opening for the winner of the last primary. If Romney should win the primary, it would be an incredible political comeback. It would also be a gift to his party, forcing on the GOP the reality of a new and stable settlement between its factions.
Romney, if he can secure the nomination, has a much better shot in 2016 than he did in 2012. He would be running against Obama’s third term, with the torch passed to a much less talented and more scandal-plagued Hillary Clinton. Obama and Romney were well-matched as devoted husbands and ethically sound politicians. In a contest against Clinton, Romney looks much better by comparison. Furthermore, ObamaCare is no longer the defining issue of the election, and Romney can run as the man to reform the reform, not revoke it….(read more)
- The havoc Trump wreaks (rep-am.com)
- Why Mitt Romney should save the Republican Party and join the 2016 race (theweek.com)
- Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump’s VP pick (redalertpolitics.com)
- In 2012 Trump Called Romney’s Immigration Plan ‘Mean-Spirited’ (pensitoreview.com)
- Flashback Quote of the Day (politicalwire.com)
- Some consultants want Trump barred from GOP primary debates (hotair.com)
- Mitt Romney Reportedly “Horrified” by Donald Trump’s Emergence as GOP Frontrunner (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Will Donald trump the entitlement narrative? (legalinsurrection.com)
- Liberal Cranks at Des Moines Register Call on Trump to Drop Out of 2016 Race (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Is Donald Trump Mitt Romney with the common touch? (powerlineblog.com)