[VIDEO] National Review’s Jay Nordlinger Talks ‘Children of Monsters’ on Morning JoePosted: September 23, 2015
September 22, 2015: National Review senior editor Jay Nordlinger joins Hugh Hewitt and MSNBC‘s Morning Joe to talk about his new book “Children of Monsters: An Inquiry into the Sons and Daughters of Dictators“.
What’s it like to be the son or daughter of a dictator? A monster on the Stalin level? What’s it like to bear a name synonymous with oppression, terror, and evil?
Jay Nordlinger set out to answer that question, and does so in this book. He surveys 20 dictators in all. They are the worst of the worst: Stalin, Mao, Idi Amin, Pol Pot, Saddam Hussein, and so on. The book is not about them, really, though of course they figure in it. It’s about their children.
Some of them are absolute loyalists. They admire, revere, or worship their father. Some of them actually succeed their father as dictator—as in North Korea, Syria, and Haiti. Some of them have doubts. A couple of them become full-blown dissenters, even defectors. A few of the daughters have the experience of having their husband killed by their father. Most of these children are rocked by war, prison, exile, or other upheaval.
Obviously, the children have things in common. But they are also individuals, making of life what they can. The main thing they have in common is this: They have been dealt a very, very unusual hand.
What would you do, if you were the offspring of an infamous dictator, who lords it over your country?
An early reader of this book said, “There’s an opera on every page”: a drama, a tragedy (or even a comedy). Another reader said he had read the chapter on Bokassa “with my eyes on stalks.”
Meet these characters for yourself. Marvel, shudder, and ponder.
- Jay, Hugh, ‘Monster Kids,’ Etc. (nationalreview.com)
- Chart Of The Day: World Exports Turn Negative (davidstockmanscontracorner.com)
- Scarborough: ‘People Like Hillary Clinton’ Are Responsible For ISIS [VIDEO] (dailycaller.com)
- Cuckoo Bananas Terminator Carville-Bot Goes Code Red on MSNBC Over Hillary E-mails (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Is the Iraqi operation to retake Tikrit really an Iranian operation? (hotair.com)
- Well-Intentioned Or Evil: Revisiting George W. Bush’s Iraq Legacy (dailycaller.com)
- Obama’s terrible Iran speech: My Republican critics are making “common cause” with Iranian hardliners (hotair.com)
- Galloway Gone in Great Britain (nationalreview.com)
- James Carville Goes Scorched Earth on MSNBC Over Hillary E-mails (nationalreview.com)