PANIC: German TV Network Inflames Refugee Debate by Depicting Angela Merkel as a Chador-Wearing MuslimPosted: October 6, 2015
Justin Huggler reports: ARD television was inundated with complaints after it broadcast a mocked-up picture of Mrs Merkel wearing the garment, known as a chador, against a backdrop of the Reichstag surrounded by minarets.
“This is not constructive journalism. Ugh! The mood turns because of such defamation and propaganda. So yes it’s true: integration cannot succeed.”
— A Facebook post
The image was shown during a debate on the refugee crisis on Report from Berlin, a Newsnight-style programme, and was intended to be satirical, the broadcaster claimed.
“Of course it was also the of this artwork to provoke and polarise opinion. We consider this satirical form of representation to be in keeping with our journalistic values. We reject any insinuation that we would operate Islamophobic propaganda.”
— ARD television, defending its use of the controversial image
But many viewers accused the programme-makers of Islamophobia, and said they were deliberately provoking anti-Muslim sentiments.
“This is not constructive journalism. Ugh!” read one comment on the programme’s Facebook page. “The mood turns because of such defamation and propaganda. So yes it’s true: integration cannot succeed.”
The broadcaster defended the use of the image. “Of course it was also the of this artwork to provoke and polarise opinion,” it said in a statement.
“We consider this satirical form of representation to be in keeping with our journalistic values. We reject any insinuation that we would operate Islamophobic propaganda.”
But many viewers complained that the image was similar to posters produced by the anti-Islam and anti-immigrant movement Pegida, or Patriotic Europeans against the Islamisation of the West.
Pegida has been attempting to make a comeback in recent weeks on the back of opposition to Mrs Merkel’s refugee policy. Some 9,000 people took part in a Pegida demonstration in Dresden on Monday evening….(read more)
- Greenpeace Tools Up for BBC Propaganda War (order-order.com)
- Cleaning Up Real Nice (the-american-interest.com)
- Alan Yentob ‘branded BBC journalists traitors over Savile exposé’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- Pam Geller on Ahmed Mohamed: We Can’t Keep Worrying About Being Called Islamophobic (mediaite.com)
- Chailly to step down early as Leipzig Gewandhaus conductor (jsonline.com)
- Pro-HAMAS Student Group Complains Posters Are Hate Speech; Demand Arrest (thegatewaypundit.com)
- BECAUSE ISLAM THREATENS WESTERN CIVILIZATION, AND JUDAISM DOES NOT: Brendan O’Neill: Why does the … (pjmedia.com)
- There it is: American media’s coverage of Gaza is ‘racist’… against Hamas (hotair.com)
- Why Does the Left Green Light Anti-Semitism? (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Dead Charlie Hebdo Journalists Named “Islamophobes of the Year” by Muslim Rights Group (thegatewaypundit.com)