Seattle Wage Hike Off To ‘Pretty Bad Start’Posted: October 25, 2015 | |
Connor D. Wolf reports: Seattle, which recently passed a $15 minimum wage, has seen the loss of 700 restaurant jobs despite the rest of the state seeing huge increases, according to a Wednesday report.
In its report, the American Enterprise Institute looked at restaurant job growth in both Seattle and the rest of Washington. The state itself has gained 5,800 industry jobs since January. Seattle, however, lost 700 jobs in the same time. The state minimum wage is $9.47. Back in June Seattle passed its own minimum wage of $15 an hour. The city ordinance is designed to phase in over the course of several years. It will reach $15 an hour by 2017 for most employers.
“One likely cause of the stagnation and decline of Seattle area restaurant jobs this year is the increase in the city’s minimum wage,” the report speculated. “It looks like the Seattle minimum wage hike is getting off to a pretty bad start. Especially considering that restaurant employment in the rest of the state is booming, and nearly 6,000 more restaurant workers are employed today than in January.”
Seattle was the first place to pass a $15 minimum wage measure and became the first major victory for supporters. San Francisco and Los Angeles followed not long after and now many cities have either enacted it or are considering it. Some states are also…(read more)
Source: The Daily Caller
- This city just proposed the highest minimum wage in America (fortune.com)
- Minimum wage to $15 in Fla.? (clickorlando.com)
- Mpls. City Council Approves $15 Minimum Wage Study (kstp.com)
- FUNNY HOW INCOME INEQUALITY IS ALWAYS THE WORST IN BLUE STATES AND CITIES: Want to increase income … (pjmedia.com)
- Los Angeles New $15 Minimum Wage Gets Mixed Reviews (dailycaller.com)
- Dem infighting over the minimum wage heats up (hotair.com)
- Why Raising Minimum Wage Means Less Money in Your Pocket (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- LA City Council Sets Minimum Wage to $15/hour (legalinsurrection.com)