University of Minnesota Hall of ShamePosted: November 12, 2015 | |
Christine Russell reports: Here’s another instance of political correctness on a college campus going a smidge too far, courtesy of the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities: A proposed resolution to recognize the 9/11 terrorist attacks on campus each year was rejected by the Minnesota Student Association as it may potentially violate a “safe space” on campus.
From Campus Reform:
“This resolution was non-controversial and was supported by the MSA’s President and Vice-President,” said Amundson, “However, several members, in exchanges with CRs rep Theo Menon, were militant in their opposition to it due to a perceived bias toward Muslims.”
Other proponents of the resolution argued in forum that its passage could bring up controversial topics, and that a healthy dialogue and campus tension reduction would ensue from the moment of recognition.
At-large MSA representative and Director of Diversity and Inclusion David Algadi voiced severe criticism of the resolution. He also made sure to emphasize 9/11’s status as a national tragedy in his response.
“The passing of this resolution might make a space that is unsafe for students on campus even more unsafe,” said Algadi, “Islamophobia and racism fueled through that are alive and well.”
Algadi added that holding a moment of recognition over a tragedy committed by non-white perpetrators could increase racist attitudes on campus, asking, “When will we start having moments of silence for all of the times white folks have done something terrible?”
Welcome to college in 2015, where it’s somehow problematic to acknowledge and remember victims of a terrorist attack….(read more)
- After Controversy Over Class On Terrorism, UNC Now Hosting 9/11 Exhibit (dailycaller.com)
- Anthony Weiner’s Wife Huma Abedin Joins Twitter To Hype “Islamophobia” (theblacksphere.net)
- Vandals uproot students’ 9/11 flag memorial at Brandeis University (thecollegefix.com)
- BOOM: Man Blows Bomb-Clock Story Wide Open With Video That Proves Entire Thing Was Faked (conservativetribune.com)
- Bill Maher on Ahmed Mohamed Clock Incident: ‘It Looked Exactly Like a Bomb…’ (insider.foxnews.com)