BREAKING: Russia Confirms That Explosive Downed Plane over SinaiPosted: November 17, 2015
‘We can unequivocally say it was a terrorist act’
MOSCOW – The Kremlin said for the first time on Tuesday that a bomb had ripped apart a Russian passenger jet over Egypt last month and promised to hunt down those responsible and intensify its air strikes on Islamist militants in Syria in response.
“According to an analysis by our specialists, a homemade bomb containing up to 1 kilogram of TNT detonated during the flight, causing the plane to break up in mid air, which explains why parts of the fuselage were spread over such a large distance.”
Until Tuesday, Russia had played down assertions from Western countries that the crash, in which 224 people were killed on Oct. 31, was a terrorist incident, saying it was important to let the official investigation run its course.
But in a late night Kremlin meeting on Monday three days after Islamist gunmen and bombers killed 129 people in Paris, Alexander Bortnikov, the head of Russia’s FSB security service, told a meeting chaired by President Vladimir Putin that traces of foreign-made explosive had been found on fragments of the downed plane and on passengers’ personal belongings.
“We will search for them everywhere wherever they are hiding. We will find them anywhere on the planet and punish them.”
— Vladimir Putin
“According to an analysis by our specialists, a homemade bomb containing up to 1 kilogram of TNT detonated during the flight, causing the plane to break up in mid air, which explains why parts of the fuselage were spread over such a large distance,” said Bortnikov.
“We can unequivocally say it was a terrorist act,” Bortnikov said in footage that was not released until Tuesday morning.
Source: Jerusalem Post
- Russia to restart anti-terrorist cooperation with USA (worldbulletin.net)
- Putin helps open Moscow mosque billed as biggest in Europe (upi.com)
- Israel’s Enemies in Washington and Moscow (canadafreepress.com)
- Russia announces naval drills in ‘east Mediterranean’ (defencetalk.com)
- Ambassador Haddad: Syrian army is the sole force on land that confronts ISIS (sana.sy)
- Putin: ISIS ideology based on lies and perversion of Islam (sott.net)
- Netanyahu, Meeting Putin In Moscow Over Military Buildup (rferl.org)