[VIDEO] Jerry Lewis on ‘The Day The Clown Cried’: The Legendary Comic Speaks OutPosted: December 17, 2015
On his career, Trump, MDA, and the film that got away.
Raymond Arroyo writes:
…As writer and director of his own films, Lewis is responsible for some of the greatest slapstick gags in history. Just watch “The Nutty Professor,” “The Bellboy,” “The Errand Boy,” “Cinderfella” or “The Ladies Man,” and his particular comic genius is evident. In Europe, he has been named Best Director of the Year eight times since 1960.
He created Video Assist, a technology that allowed him to watch his on-screen performances, instantly, before the film was developed. Video Assist is still used by nearly every film and TV director to this day.
One Lewis project has been shrouded in mystery for decades: “The Day the Clown Cried.” It’s a World War II drama concerning a clown in Auschwitz. The film was mired in legal troubles, and Lewis has never allowed it to be seen.
Now, in an exclusive interview, he tells me why he has kept the film under wraps for so long.
Here’s a clip:
“That’s the problem, there was no artistry,” Lewis said. “The work was bad.”
This is just one of the many revelations he shared with me during a hilarious and moving interview that will air Thursday on “The World Over” on EWTN.
He has always refused to discuss the motivation for his involvement with MDA. He breaks his silence in our interview…(read more)
- Auschwitz as an industrial workplace: Devastating Holocaust drama “Son of Saul” finds a new story in the Nazi death camp (salon.com)
- US Outraged Over Planned Statue Honoring Antisemite in Hungary (5tjt.com)
- Why didn’t FDR save the Jews? (furtherglory.wordpress.com)
- Ute Lemper Celebrates 30 Years in Theatre with the Retrospective Last Tango In Berlin (lamag.com)
- British Ministry of Truth Said in 1944 That the Holocaust Must be Created to Distract from USSR Massacres (careandwashingofthebrain.blogspot.com)
- Laszlo Nemes Refuses to Turn Away From Horrors of Holocaust With ‘Son of Saul’ (variety.com)
- Allowing Muslim to enter the U.S. un-vetted will create a crisis which those in our government will have to fix. That should sound familiar. (cryandhowl.com)