Paper Tiger: Impeach the IRS Commissioner?Posted: September 10, 2016
Congress should fulfill its constitutional duty to police executive-branch lawlessness. Don’t hold your breath.
“Congress has become a paper tiger within our tripartite system.”
These Republican leaders’ reasons are cumulatively unpersuasive. Resuscitating the impeachment power would contribute to revitalizing Congress’s Article I powers. Impeachments are rare — no appointed official of the executive branch has been
impeached in 140 years. But what James Madison called the “indispensable” power to impeach should not be allowed to atrophy, as has Congress’s power to declare war.
Here are a few pertinent facts. At the IRS, Exempt Organizations director Lois Lerner participated in delaying for up to five years — effectively denying — tax-exempt status for, and hence suppressing political advocacy by, conservative groups. She retired after refusing to testify to congressional committees, invoking the Fifth Amendment’s protection against self-incrimination.
Koskinen, who became commissioner after Lerner left, failed to disclose the disappearance of e-mails germane to a congressional investigation of IRS misbehavior.
Under his leadership, the IRS failed to comply with a preservation order pertaining to an investigation. He did not testify accurately or keep promises made to Congress. Subpoenaed documents, including 422 tapes potentially containing 24,000 Lerner e-mails, were destroyed. He falsely testified that the Government Accountability Office’s report on IRS practices found “no examples of anyone who was improperly selected for an audit.”
In June testimony to the House Judiciary Committee, Jonathan Turley of the George Washington University Law School noted that the Obama administration stands accused of “effectively weaponizing the IRS.” And the Koskinen controversy comes as…(read more)
Source: National Review
- IRS Impeachment Vote Could Happen In Just A Few Days (dailycaller.com)
- GEORGE WILL: Congress should impeach the IRS commissioner – or risk becoming obsolete. Here a… (pjmedia.com)
- House Freedom Caucus to impeachment vote (wyff4.com)
- IRS commissioner John Koskinen merits impeachment (denverpost.com)
- Column: The IRS commissioner merits impeachment (thesheridanpress.com)
- House Freedom Caucus to impeachment vote (localnews8.com)
- House Freedom Caucus to impeachment vote (wmur.com)
- House Freedom Caucus to force vote to impeach IRS commissioner next week (gantdaily.com)
- House Freedom Caucus to impeachment vote (wbaltv.com)