[VIDEO] The First Presidential Debate in 3 MinutesPosted: September 30, 2016
Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump met for the first presidential debate last night at Hofstra University in New York. The major party candidates hoped to make their case to the record number of American voters expected to watch. Meanwhile, third party candidates Gary Johnson and Jill Stein, despite pulling a combined double digits in national polls, were locked out.
The lack of an alternative viewpoint to the Republican-Democrat status quo led to some familiar discussions. On security, Trump emphasized his support for bringing back and expanding New York City’s defunct stop-and-frisk policy while Clinton focused on the need for more restrictions on gun ownership. Trump’s failure to acknowledge that stop-and-frisk was both unconstitutional and ineffective in reducing crime was only matched by Clinton’s failure to mention that gun violence is at historic lows despite soaring gun sales.
For libertarians in particular, the most egregious parts of the debate may not have been the disagreements, but the times when the candidates were aligned. They nodded in agreement when it came to opposing free trade accords, increasing spending and debt, and denying gun rights to people placed on government lists without due process.
Reason TV boiled down 90 minutes of agony to give you the three minutes that count. Watch the video above to see the candidates discuss these issues and more, along with some of the more egregious consultant-crafted zingers they delivered.
Produced by Zach Weissmueller and Justin Monticello. Music by Polyrhythmics.
- Kaine downplays presidential readiness amid Clinton illness (pottsmerc.com)
- Hillary Clinton lead over Trump drops to just one percent (manipalworldnews.com)
- Hillary Clinton doesn’t look terribly well (michaelsmithnews.com)
- The First Clinton-Trump Debate in 3 Minutes : Conscious Life News (consciouslifenews.com)
- Ed Rollins: Clinton Can’t Walk Back ‘Deplorable’ Remarks (hapblog.com)
- Doctor: Clinton ‘Overheating’ Spell Due To Pneumonia (newstalkcleveland.newsone.com)
- Hillary Clinton Lead Narrowing, Trump Shares Physical Results on Dr. Oz, “The Truth About Pepe”: P.M. Links (reason.com)