Man of the Year: Anthony WeinerPosted: October 28, 2016
The New York Times said on Friday that law enforcement officials had revealed it was the seizure of the devices, and the discovery of emails that were previously not part of the FBI investigation, that had triggered the bureau’s .
The FBI informed Congress on Friday it was investigating whether there was classified information in the new emails. The FBI said in July that its investigation was finished.
However, reports said the emails were not from the former secretary of state’s private device, but from those belonging to her top aide and her ex-husband. Mr Weiner is being investigated amid allegations he sent sexual messages to a 15-year-old girl.
The Associated Press said that in his letter to congressional leaders, FBI Director James Comey said the new emails that had come to light recently had prompted investigators to reopen its probe.
In his letter, Mr Comey, said that emails had surfaced in an unrelated case – now said to be the investigation into Mr Wiener’s alleged sexting – and that they “appear to be pertinent to the investigation”.
State Department spokesman Mark Toner said the department learned about the FBI letter from news reports and did not get any notification from the FBI. Toner pledged the department would “cooperate to the full extent that we can.”
The White House, through a spokesman, also declined to immediately comment.
Source: The Independent
- The New York Post cover on Clinton email bombshell is out – and it does not disappoint (businessinsider.com)
- Breaking: FBI reopening Hillary e-mail probe; Update: Trump reacts; Update: Tied to … Anthony Weiner; Update: Podesta demands full transparency from FBI (hotair.com)
- Hillary Clinton’s email headache just turned back into a migraine (mashable.com)
- The Only Secure Server in Washington: (brothersjuddblog.com)
- An Attempted Hillary Email Coverup? (ihatethemedia.com)
- Clinton ally aided campaign of FBI official’s wife (foxnews.com)
- State Department Official Urged a Clinton Email Be Reclassified (time.com)
- Hillary Clinton accused of ‘collusion and corruption’ over secret Benghazi email (telegraph.co.uk)
- FBI releases 100 new pages on Clinton emails (blacklistednews.com)