New York Times Publisher Vows to ‘Rededicate’ Paper to Reporting ‘Honestly’Posted: November 12, 2016
‘We cannot deliver the independent, original journalism for which we are known without the loyalty of our subscribers’
The publisher of The New York Times penned a letter to readers Friday promising that the paper would “reflect” on its coverage of this year’s election while rededicating itself to reporting on “America and the world” honestly.
“Now, that the world has been upended and you are all, to a person, in a state of surprise and shock, you may want to consider whether you should change your focus from telling the reader what and how to think, and instead devote yourselves to finding out what the reader (and nonreaders) actually think.”
— Kathleen Casey, Houston
Arthur O. Sulzberger Jr., the paper’s embattled publisher, appealed to Times readers for their continued support.
“because it demonized Trump from start to finish, it failed to realize he was onto something. And because the paper decided that Trump’s supporters were a rabble of racist rednecks and homophobes, it didn’t have a clue about what was happening in the lives of the Americans who elected the new president.”
— New York Post columnist and former Times reporter Michael Goodwin
“We cannot deliver the independent, original journalism for which we are known without the loyalty of our subscribers,” the letter states.
Sulzbergers letter was released after the paper’s public editor, Liz Spayd, took the paper to task for its election coverage. She pointed out how its polling feature Upshot gave Hillary Clinton an 84 percent chance as voters went to the polls.
The NYT would do well to plant some roots in Red America https://t.co/HDd4SFJqtq
— Liz Spayd (@spaydl) November 9, 2016
She compared stories that the paper ran about President-elect Donald Trump and Clinton, where the paper made Clinton look functional and organized and the Trump discombobulated.
Spayd wrote, “Readers are sending letters of complaint at a rapid rate. Here’s one that summed up the feelings succinctly, from Kathleen Casey of Houston: “Now, that the world has been upended and you are all, to a person…(read more)
Source: Fox News
- NYT: Trump Is Right – Democrats Do Nothing for Black Voters (grumpyelder.com)
- NY Times Live Presidential Forecast of Trump’s Odds to Win the Presidency Has Just Gone Haywire (ijr.com)
- US election: FBI’s Clinton emails move defended by Comey (bbc.co.uk)
- Watch Obama tease Trump for reportedly having his Twitter taken away by his campaign (businessinsider.com)
- Analyst: Most Americans like neither Candidate (amtvmedia.com)
- 70 Nobel Laureates Endorse Hillary Clinton (nytimes.com)
- New York Times prints terrifying list of all of Donald Trump’s Twitter insults (mashable.com)
- CBS/NYT poll: Hillary lead cut by two-thirds, up only within MoE (hotair.com)
- Livestream Jay Z’s Ohio Concert For Hillary Clinton Now (thefader.com)