Kosovo Arrests 19 in Islamic State Plot to Attack Israel Soccer MatchPosted: November 17, 2016
Suspects planned ‘synchronized’ attacks in Kosovo and Albania, police say; weapons, ammunition and a drone seized in sweep
Police said the arrests were made over the past 10 days and that the suspects had planned “synchronized terror attacks,” without going into further detail.
“They were planning to commit terrorist attacks in Kosovo and also [an attack] against [the] Israeli football team and their fans during the Albania-Israel match,” Kosovo police said in a statement on Wednesday, adding that weapons, explosives, ammunition and a drone were seized during the sweep.
The police said the suspects were communicating and receiving orders from an Islamic State member, Lavdrim Muhaxheri, the self-declared “commander of Albanians in Syria and Iraq.”
Last week, a Kosovo court ordered seven of the suspects detained for a month while the investigation continued. The seven belonged to one network that notably planned to attack a stadium in the northern Albanian town of Shkodra during the country’s 2018 World Cup qualifier against Israel last Saturday, according to media reports…(read more)
Source: The Times of Israel
- Is Malcolm Hoenlein still the king? (jewishjournal.com)
- UK defense minister hopes for Raqa offensive against ISIS in next few weeks (businessinsider.com)
- Watchdog slams Syrian regime, Islamic State for chemical arms use (japantimes.co.jp)
- Along the Anglosphere: (brothersjuddblog.com)
- Kosovo: 7 arrested for alleged terror activity linked to IS (stripes.com)
- ISIS bombs hit U.S.-backed forces in Syria (triblive.com)
- Uncertainty across Middle East after Trump victory (vanguardngr.com)