Clinton Staffers Popped Champagne on Election Day Before LossPosted: November 18, 2016
Hillary Clinton’s aides were so sure she would win that they reportedly popped champagne on the campaign plane on Election Day.
Hours later, instead of becoming the nation’s first female president as polls had predicted, Clinton suffered one of the most stunning political defeats in history, and Donald Trump became the new president-elect.
“There is no question that a week from Election Day, Secretary Clinton was poised for a historic win. In the end, late breaking developments in the race proved one hurdle too many for us to overcome.”
The New York Times reported the champagne element on Saturday, as part of a story that detailed Clinton’s comments echoing a memo from her campaign that blamed her shocking loss on FBI Director James Comey.
“Instead of becoming the nation’s first female president as polls had predicted, Clinton suffered one of the most stunning political defeats in history, and Donald Trump became the new president-elect.”
A mere 11 days before the election, Comey sent a letter notifying Congress that the FBI was looking into new emails related to Clinton’s use of a private email server while secretary of state.
The agency discovered the emails while investigating former congressman Anthony Weiner. But the Sunday before Election Day, Comey announced the emails didn’t warrant additional investigation, and again cleared Clinton.
The Clinton campaign and prominent Democrats slammed Comey for his timing, accusing the Republican FBI director of trying to sway the election.
And the campaign doubled down on that accusation in an email sent to senior staff on Thursday. Navin Nayak, the director of opinion research on the campaign, wrote that Comey’s bombshells depressed Clinton’s support among college-educated white voters in the suburbs and galvanized Trump’s base…..(read more)
Source: Business Insider
- FBI Investigation Update: Clinton, Trump Tweets From Official Bureau Account Lead To Internal Review (ibtimes.com)
- Teen Who Got Weiner Sexts Wrote an Open Letter to FBI Director Comey. She’s NOT Happy About Hillary Investigation. (ijr.com)
- FBI obtains warrant to search emails as Hillary Clinton’s 11-point lead over Donald Trump ‘wiped out’: Monday US election briefing (telegraph.co.uk)
- Hillary’s Weiner Problem (americanclarion.com)
- PRESCIENT PREDICTION? Trump said last year that Weiner was security threat (foxnews.com)
- Trump campaign denies report of Russian bank connection (mashable.com)
- Donald Trump Slams ‘Sleaze’ Anthony Weiner (abcnewsradioonline.com)