Heartache for the Global Left: The Great Man Progressives Loved to LovePosted: November 26, 2016 Filed under: Crime & Corruption, History, Humor, Mediasphere, Politics, White House | Tags: Belgium, Canada, Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement, Cuba, Cuba–United States relations, Cuban exile, Cuban Missile Crisis, Cuban Revolution, Donald Tusk, European Union, Fidel Castro, Havana, Jean-Claude Juncker, Jeremy Corbyn, Justin Trudeau, Miami, President of Cuba, President of the European Commission, Prime Minister of Canada, Raúl Castro Leave a comment
CNN mourns: Fidel Castro Ruz, the political personality, has died. Fidel Castro, the historical persona, has been born. He passes from the present into the past, to serve as an enduring historical subject of debate and dispute, about whom dispassion will be impossible for years to come. Fidel Castro was not a man about whom one is likely to be neutral.
NRO‘s Andrew Stuttaford writes:
Fidel is a metaphor. He is a Rorschach blot upon which to project fears or hopes. A prism in which the spectrum of colors refracted out has to do with light that went in. He is a point of view, loaded with ideological purport and political meaning. A David who survived Goliath. A symbol of Third World intransigence against First World domination.
But it is also possible to discuss the historical “essences” of Fidel Castro. He emerged out of a history shaped by a century of Cuban national frustration, heir to a legacy of unfulfilled hopes for national sovereignty and self-determination, aspirations that put Cuba on a collision course with the United States. The collision of the early 1960s served to fix the trajectory of the 50 years of ruptured relations that followed…(read more)
- A look at the life of Fidel Castro (sfgate.com)
- Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro dead at age 90 (businessinsider.com)
- The Latest: Castro death catches Cubans by surprise (sfgate.com)
- Fidel Castro’s family torn by dysfunction and disagreements (theguardian.com)
- Video: The life, times and legacy of Fidel Castro (telegraph.co.uk)
- Fidel Castro Dead – Former President of Cuba Dies at 90 (justjared.com)
- Fidel Castro, Cuban revolutionary and communist leader, dead at 90 (pbs.org)
- Cuba won’t reform any faster, President Raul Castro tells Justin Trudeau in Havana (news.nationalpost.com)