China: Shinzo Abe Statue with Hitler Mustache Removed by Shenyang Mall After Japanese Consulate ComplainsPosted: November 27, 2016
The Abe wax figure was first unveiled last week along with likenesses of Barack Obama and Vladimir Putin.
Alex Linder writes: Unfortunately, customers visiting one Shenyang shopping mall will no longer be greeted by a bowing Shinzo Abe with a Hitler mustache after the mall received complaints from the Japanese consulate in the city.
The Abe wax figure was first unveiled last week along with likenesses of Barack Obama and Vladimir Putin. Behind the kowtowing Japanese Prime Minister were Chinese characters reading: “Commemorating the September 18th Incident.”
“Confusingly, the worker added that the Hitler mustache was added intentionally to ‘make sure it didn’t entirely resemble Abe,’ and that the backdrop had nothing to do with the statues, as they had just been placed there temporarily.”
In English, this is known as the Mukden or Manchurian Incident, when a staged explosion in Shenyang (then called Mukden) provided Japan with the pretext for its invasion of Manchuria in 1931. This year was the 85th anniversary of that incident, causing some “patriotic” Chinese companies to ban their employees from buying the new iPhone 7.
“The figures were all made by a craftsman from Dandong, Liaoning province, and displayed in order to ‘enrich the shopping experience of customers.'”
Those bans were largely ridiculed across China, as was this wax figure. Chinese netizens called the Abe-Hitler figure a “disgrace.”
The Consulate General of Japan in Shenyang also apparently didn’t appreciate the model, complaining to the mall. By last Thursday, the shopping mall had removed all of the wax figures, a staff member told the Global Times…(read more)
- Japan, Russia agree to economic cooperation ahead of summit: Nikkei (thehindu.com)
- Russia cool to restart peace treaty talks with Japan ahead of Putin visit: sources (japantimes.co.jp)
- Russia sends missiles to Pacific islands claimed by Japan (stripes.com)
- ‘There has been a lot of confusion’: Trump’s planned meeting with Japan’s prime minister is already off to a bad start (businessinsider.com)
- Obama defends legacy at APEC, urges allies to move TPP forward, prods Putin on Syria, Trump on U.S. role (japantimes.co.jp)
- Trump Speaks With Russian President Vladimir Putin (amtvmedia.com)
- Japan PM in NY for 1st meeting by foreign leader with Trump (sfgate.com)