Writer Who Coined the Term ‘Herbivore Men’ to Explain Japan’s Problem with Sex Speaks Out on Term’s MisusePosted: December 6, 2016 | |
The changing concept of the ‘female friend’ in recent decades has warped government findings on male sexuality, Maki Fukasawa argues.
Shehab Khan reports: An author has criticised the media’s use of a phrase she coined to define Japan’s “sex problem” – after the country’s National Institute of Population and Social Security Research published a new report into the country’s sinking birthrate.
“The institute’s latest research found that 69 per cent of men and 59 per cent of women in Japan do not have sexual partners. It also found that 42 per cent of both sexes remain virgins and 30 per cent said they have ‘no hope’ for a relationship.”
Maki Fukasawa, a columnist and sociologist, has subsequently objected to her term “herbivore men” being misued by the press in order to sensationalise the findings.
Ms Fukasawa’s term was invented 10 years ago to describe those males who have no interest in getting married or having a girlfriend but do pursue sexual relationships.
More recently, the expression has been popularly used to refer to men with no interest in sex whatsover, which is not what Ms Fukasawa intended.
The author has argued that the concept of “female friend” has changed over time…(read more)
Source: The Independent
- No more sexy solicitors: California considers ban on sex between lawyers and clients (news.nationalpost.com)
- How many notches on your bedpost make you most attractive? The answer might surprise you. (blogs.discovermagazine.com)
- Report: Pa. Teacher Caught Having Sex With Student In Cemetery Sentenced (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- California could soon ban sex between lawyers and their clients (businessinsider.com)
- The Single-ish 24-Year-Old Worried About Her Mood Swings (nymag.com)
- Paper Explodes Feminist Myth That Women Are As Horny As Men And Calls For Legalization Of Prostitution (dailycaller.com)
- CDC on AIDS prevention: Talk about it and have sex (hotair.com)
- Leftist talking points vs. facts in Oregon’s persecution of Christian bakers (hotair.com)
- TEACH WOMEN NOT TO RAPE! (CONT’D): Greeley Teacher Katerina Bardos accused of long sexual relations… (pjmedia.com)
- RIGHT-WING PEOPLE ARE MOST LIKELY TO BE ‘SATISFIED’ WITH THEIR SEX LIVES, the London Independent rep… (pjmedia.com)