At Least 9 Dead, Dozens More Injured After Truck Plows into Berlin Christmas MarketPosted: December 19, 2016
A truck plowed into a crowded Christmas market in Berlin Monday night, killing at least nine people and injuring dozens of others in what witnesses described as a deliberate attack.
The large Scania truck with a Poland license plate crashed into the market outside the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church. Television footage showed the truck with its windshield smashed out on the sidewalk alongside the market, with a swarm of ambulances nearby. A large Christmas tree with a gold star on top was toppled over nearby in the street, and tree branches were crushed under the truck’s tires.
Police said a suspect believed to be the driver was arrested nearby and a passenger was dead. Authorities estimated that 50 people were injured, but an exact number was not immediately available.
Police said they are still investigating whether the crash was an accident or an attack, but the incident had a chilling echo of the July 14 truck attack in Nice, France that killed 86 people.
ISIS claimed responsibility for the Nice attack, which was carried out by a Tunisian living in France. ISIS and Al Qaeda have both called on followers to use trucks in particular to attack public places.
Die Welt newspaper reported that a Polish TV station had interviewed a man named Ariel Zurawski, who said that his cousin was assigned to drive the truck involved in the incident. Zurawski claimed he had last spoken to his cousin at noon Monday and said he suspected the truck had been hijacked. He added that the truck had been loaded with steel structures weighing 25 tons.
Mike Fox, a tourist from Birmingham, England, told The Associated Press at the scene in Berlin that the large truck missed him by about three meters as it drove into the market, tearing through tables and wooden stands.
“It was definitely deliberate,” Fox said. Fox said he helped people who appeared to have broken limbs, and that others were trapped under Christmas stands….(read more)
Source: Fox News
- British man found guilty of providing £3,000 to Brussels and Paris bombing suspect (businessinsider.com)
- Prison riot involving 300 inmates lasts more than 12 hours (stuff.co.nz)
- 2 men who gave cash to Brussels suspect sentenced in Britain (stripes.com)
- NY Times public editor under fire for criticizing the paper’s liberal bias (hotair.com)
- US author tweets that London is ‘all Islamic’, gets immediately shut down (mashable.com)
- Southern plagues: Drought, flood, fire and now killer storms (sfgate.com)
- Laurence H. Silberman: The Dangerous Lie That ‘Bush Lied’: ‘Some Journalists Still Peddle This Canard As If It Were Fact’ (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Guccifer will change plea to guilty signaling possible cooperation with investigators (hotair.com)