Russian Ambassador Gunned Down in Turkey; Shooter Ali Hashem Shouts ‘Allahu Akhbar’Posted: December 19, 2016
David French writes: The world just got more dangerous. A gunman shot and killed the Russian ambassador to Turkey and then stood over his body, shouted “Allahu Akhbar” and began ranting about Syria and Aleppo. I won’t embed video of the shooting, but you can see the entire thing here. Warning, the footage is extremely disturbing.
Early reports are often wrong, but it appears the shooter was a Turkish police officer:
— Ali Hashem علي هاشم (@alihashem_tv) December 19, 2016
We can’t forget that this incident comes just a little more than a year after Turkish forces shot down a Russian jet, and it comes after Erodgan has comprehensively purged Turkish security forces to allegedly leave only his loyalists on staff.
It would be foolish to spend too much time speculating about the immediate and short-term consequences, but it is simply a fact that this is a grave…(read more)
Source: National Review
- Syrian rebels ‘in secret talks with Moscow (amtvmedia.com)
- Guns fall silent in Aleppo as deal lets civilians, rebels exit but atrocity reports prompt U.S. to demand observers (japantimes.co.jp)
- Aleppo Evacuation Plan Delayed, Fighting Resumes (voanews.com)
- WW3: Turkey Announces Military In Syria To Overthrow Assad (alexanderhiggins.com)
- U.N. says Syrian forces murdering civilians by scores in Aleppo (cbsnews.com)
- UN Security Council to vote on humanitarian aid to Aleppo (sfgate.com)
- Aleppo evacuation halted as both sides trade blame (stripes.com)
- Russia demands explanation after Recep Tayyip Erdogan threatens to topple ‘tyrant’ Bashar Assad (telegraph.co.uk)