Obama’s Anti-Israel TantrumPosted: December 26, 2016
The anti-Israel U.N. resolution is a defining act of Obama’s Presidency.
The decision by the United States to abstain from a United Nations Security Council resolution condemning Israel over its settlements on the West Bank is one of the most significant, defining moments of the Obama Presidency.
“No effort to rescind the resolution, which calls the settlements a violation of ‘international law,’ will succeed because of Russia’s and China’s vetoes.”
It defines this President’s extraordinary ability to transform matters of public policy into personal pique at adversaries. And it defines the reality of the international left’s implacable opposition to the Israeli state.
“Instead, the resolution will live on as Barack Obama’s cat’s paw, offering support in every European capital, international institution and U.S. university campus to bully Israel with the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement.”
Earlier in the week, Egypt withdrew the Security Council resolution under pressure from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. President-elect Donald Trump also intervened, speaking with Egypt’s government and, via Twitter, urging Mr. Obama to block the resolution, as have past U.S. Administrations and Mr. Obama himself in 2011.
“For Donald Trump, meet your State Department. This is what State’s permanent bureaucrats believe, this is what they want, and Barack Obama delivered it to them.”
As was widely reported Friday after the U.N. vote, the White House decided to abstain—thereby allowing the pro-Palestinian resolution to pass—in retaliation against the intervention by Messrs. Netanyahu and Trump.
Mr. Obama’s animus toward Prime Minister Netanyahu is well known. Apparently Mr. Obama took it as an affront that the President-elect would express an opinion about this week’s U.N. resolution.
It is important, though, to see this U.S. abstention as more significant than merely Mr. Obama’s petulance. What it reveals clearly is the Obama Administration’s animus against the state of Israel itself. No longer needing Jewish votes, Mr. Obama was free, finally, to punish the Jewish state in a way no previous President has done…(read more)
- Israel’s Netanyahu lashes out at Obama over UN vote (bostonherald.com)
- Israeli military: Forces kill Palestinian lobbing explosive (sfgate.com)
- Israel’s Netanyahu lashes out at Obama over UN vote (stripes.com)
- Netanyahu vows to work with Trump to dismantle Iran nuclear deal (japantimes.co.jp)
- Obama and Kerry are behind the ‘shameful’ U.N. vote to end settlement building, Israeli official says (businessinsider.com)
- Donald Trump’s Ambassador to Israel Recognizes Jerusalem as Capital (time.com)
- Vote on West Bank settlements could cause trouble for the U.N. (cbsnews.com)
- If J Streeters are ‘kapos,’ so are half of all Israelis (jewishjournal.com)