U.S. Government Attacks Drudge Report? Conservative Website Down Because of DDoS Attack, Matt Drudge TweetsPosted: December 29, 2016 | |
Cristina Silva reports: A tweet from conservative media icon Matt Drudge’s verified Twitter account Thursday night appeared to accuse the government of interfering with his website, DrudgeReport.com, just hours after the Barack Obama administration announced new sanctions against Russia over election hacking.
Is the US government attacking DRUDGE REPORT?
Biggest DDoS since site’s inception. VERY suspicious routing [and timing].
— MATT DRUDGE (@DRUDGE) December 30, 2016
“Is the US government attacking DRUDGE REPORT? Biggest DDoS since site’s inception. VERY suspicious routing [and timing],” the tweet to Drudge’s 457,000 followers read. There were no other tweets from the account at the time.
A large-scale distributed denial of service attack, or DDoS, can cause major Internet disruptions. In the past, such attacks have shut down major websites such as Twitter, Spotify, Netflix, Amazon, Tumblr, and Reddit. The attack sends a server many illegitimate requests to make it hard for real requests to get through, effectively shutting down the site.
Drudge Report was down briefly around 7 p.m. EST, but working hours later. The top headline read: “MOSCOW MOCKS OBAMA ‘LAME DUCK'” Meanwhile, the conservative Washington Times wrote: “Matt Drudge suggests U.S. government cyberattack on Drudge Report website. DDoS attack comes same day Obama announced countermeasures against Russia for hacking of Democrats.”
Numerous reports of Russian state-run Network RT being unavailable. Drudge Report also under “Biggest DDoS attack since site’s inception” pic.twitter.com/okysbtDEKv
— Mikael Thalen (@MikaelThalen) December 30, 2016
Conservatives on Twitter also accused the government of shutting down the Russian news website, RT. “Numerous reports of Russian state-run Network RT being unavailable. Drudge Report also under ‘Biggest DDoS attack since site’s inception,'” wrote one user.
President Barack Obama announced Thursday sanctions against several Russian agencies and individuals after cyberattacks during the 2016 presidential election against Democratic Party institutions that appeared to help Donald Trump win over Hillary Clinton…(read more)
- Mika Gets Really Sad When Joe Scarborough Reveals the Reason Hillary Lost–And It’s Not ‘Fake News’ (ijr.com)
- ‘SNL’ Mocks The Movie ‘Love Actually’ With Hillary Clinton Skit (ksfm.cbslocal.com)
- THE PANTSUIT REPORT: Hillary Clinton Email Scandal: FBI Felony Probe Expands (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Hillary Clinton Is A Woman (dailycaller.com)
- The Many Exhausted Faces of Hillary Clinton (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Hillary Clinton Paves the Way For Easy Treason Against America (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- New Hillary Clinton Condoms Hit the Market (thegatewaypundit.com)