John Fund & Hans von Spakovsky: Obama’s ‘Scandal-Free Administration’ Is a MythPosted: January 17, 2017
Even a prominent Trump adviser accepts the false premise that there has been no ‘ethical shadiness.’
Even Trump adviser Peter Thiel seems to agree. When the New York Times’s Maureen Dowd observed during an interview that Mr. Obama’s administration was “without any ethical shadiness,” Mr. Thiel accepted the premise, saying: “But there’s a point where no corruption can be a bad thing. It can mean that things are too boring.”
In reality, Mr. Obama has presided over some of the worst scandals of any president in recent decades. Here’s a partial list:
• State Department email. In an effort to evade federal open-records laws, Mr. Obama’s first secretary of state set up a private server, which she used exclusively to conduct official business, including communications with the president and the transmission of classified material. A federal criminal investigation produced no charges, but FBI Director James Comey reported that the secretary and her colleagues “were extremely careless” in handling national secrets.
• Operation Fast and Furious. The Obama Justice Department lost track of thousands of guns it had allowed to pass into the hands of suspected smugglers, in the hope of tracing them to Mexican drug cartels. One of the guns was used in the fatal 2010 shooting of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry. Congress held then-Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt when he refused to turn over documents about the operation.
• IRS abuses. Mr. Obama’s Internal Revenue Service did something Richard Nixononly dreamed of doing: It successfully targeted political opponents. The Justice Department then refused to enforce Congress’s contempt citation against the IRS’s Lois Lerner, who refused to answer questions about her agency’s misconduct.
• Benghazi. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three others were killed in the attack on a U.S. diplomatic compound in Libya. With less than two months to go before the 2012 election, the State Department falsely claimed the attack was not a terrorist attack but a reaction to an anti-Muslim film. Emails from the secretary later showed that she knew the attack was terrorism. Justice Department prosecutors even convinced a magistrate judge to jail the filmmaker.
• Hacking. Mr. Obama presided over the biggest data breach in the federal government’s history…(read more)
Mr. Fund is a columnist for National Review. Mr. von Spakovsky is a senior legal fellow at the Heritage Foundation. They are co-authors of “Obama’s Enforcer: Eric Holder’s Justice Department” (Broadside, 2014).
- Might The Great Stagnation end with The Great Medication? (marginalrevolution.com)
- Democrats confront FBI on Russia, possible link to Trump camp (theglobeandmail.com)
- U.S. Intelligence Chiefs Testify Before Senate Panel On Russian Hacking (npr.org)
- Eye Opener: FBI inquiry into Clinton emails under investigation (cbsnews.com)
- Peter Thiel says the age of Apple is over (AAPL) (businessinsider.com)
- Watchdog to investigate Justice Department, FBI actions before election (wbrz.com)
- Donald Trump and Peter Thiel have a secret handshake, I guess (mashable.com)
- Silicon Valley futurists plan to live forever by harvesting both the labor and the body parts of the working class (3quarksdaily.com)