TRUMPOCALYPSE: ‘Radical,’ ‘Dark’ Inaugural Speech Mystifies TV Talking Heads as News Crews Scramble for MetaphorsPosted: January 21, 2017
The television anchors, reporters and analysts covering President Donald Trump’s inaugural speech may have appeared on different networks, but they were united in their depictions of Trump’s speech.
“This was Donald Trump seizing power, in the sense that there is a new sheriff in town,” Fox News anchor Chris Wallace said. “The American carnage must stop right here, right now. … This was the speech of an insurgent, the leader of a revolt that has won and taken control of Washington.”
Even the more charitable descriptions of the speech noted the darkness of his rhetoric.
“I thought the speech was not poetic, but quite strong. It was very much Trump. While it wasn’t soaring he had many lines that were quite memorable,” said Fox News’ Brit Hume. “He painted this dark landscape of circumstances in this country, and promised to fix it all, basically.”
Some fact-checked Trump’s speech, which mentioned crime rates and Americans out of work.
“It was a dark, even pessimistic view of where we are at the moment,” said CNN’s John King. “The statistics will tell you illegal border crossings are down; didn’t sound like that from the speech. The statistics would tell you we have 4.7 percent unemployment. He talked about how terrible things are and how horrible they are in the country … this is trademark Trump. This is how he campaigned; it’s his brand of populism.”
Many noted that Trump did not focus his speech on bipartisanship or unity. Instead, he continued the themes from his campaign….(read more)
- Rand Paul: Civil rights icon John Lewis isn’t immune to criticism (kdvr.com)
- Inauguration 2017 Live Stream Video – Watch Donald Trump Become President (justjared.com)
- Ryan: No, we’re not going to do “mass deportations” (hotair.com)
- Kellyanne Conway: WikiLeaks Emails Had An Effect On Campaign — But No Impact On Election (crooksandliars.com)
- CNN will host town hall with House Speaker Paul Ryan (cnn.com)
- Paul Ryan Sympathetic Toward DACA Recipients? (lawprofessors.typepad.com)
- CNN Just Got Blasted for Spreading ‘Fake News.’ It’s Certainly Not the First Time (ijr.com)