Aquatic Cheerleader: Pom Pom Crab DancePosted: January 26, 2017
The boxer crabs and sea anemones have an awesome mutualistic relationship. Although the anemones are not required for their survival, the crabs use them for personal defense and in return the anemones get a free ride that increases their chances of snatching tasty morsels of floating food.
Some crabs have been known to live without anemone friends and others use sponges or coral instead. Still, the image of a brave little crab waving two stinging sea anemones about is supremely cute and literally quite cheering.
- Holiday hit: Japan sees surge in crab prices amid drop in imports (japantimes.co.jp)
- Millions of red crabs migrating is the right kind of Christmas rush (mashable.com)
- A brand-new species called the hermit crab caterpillar makes its own armour out of leaves (businessinsider.com)
- Sahadi’s and SF’s La Taqueria Among This Year’s James Beard ‘American Classic’ Honorees (grubstreet.com)
- Dungeness crab fishermen go on strike (sfgate.com)
- Dungeness crabbers continue strike from California to Canada (kron4.com)