The National Elite Nervous BreakdownPosted: January 26, 2017 | |
America’s elites have indulged in a collective paroxysm over Donald Trump, hindering their ability to bounce back politically.
John Podhoretz writes: It cannot go on like this. It’s been five days since the inaugural and the adrenalized, hypercaffeinated, speed-freak affect of the entire chattering class is beginning to seem like we’re living through Bob Woodward’s classic depiction in his book Wired of John Belushi’s final overcharged sleepless days before dying from a cocaine speedball overdose in 1981.
If every word out of Donald Trump’s mouth is greeted with shrieks of horror and rage and anger and despair and hysteria by his opponents, they are going to find it impossible to serve as any kind of effective opposition to him. If media spends their hours celebrating each other for the most creative or the most direct way in which to call Trump a liar, they are going to take their (our) taste for self-referential solipsism to a new level at which their capacity to communicate with their own readers and viewers will be fatally compromised. And just at the moment when they could find new audiences and new credibility in serving as an authoritative source of information in a sea of White House spin and outright disinformation…(read more)
- Bob Woodward Agrees With Trump Over ‘Garbage’ Allegations From Intel Community (freebeacon.com)
- Trump thanks Bob Woodward for calling dossier a ‘garbage document’ (hotair.com)
- Frank Ocean Shares Message About Donald Trump’s Inauguration (stereogum.com)
- U2 Lashes Out At Donald Trump, Backfires Big Time As Fans Pay The Price (madworldnews.com)
- Jared Kushner’s senior adviser role tests anti-nepotism law (cbsnews.com)
- Inauguration Parade 2017 Live Stream Video – Watch Donald Trump March to White House (justjared.com)
- Trump to return to Washington today (wbrz.com)
- State senator, an early Trump backer, won’t make it to inaugural (radioiowa.com)