[VIDEO] Reverend Resigns After Quran is Read in Christian ChurchPosted: January 26, 2017
One of the Queen’s chaplains has resigned after criticising a Glasgow church for allowing a Koran reading during one of its services.
The Reverend Gavin Ashenden said he left his position in order to have more freedom of “speak out on behalf of the faith”.
“Because I think it a higher and more compelling duty to speak out on behalf of the faith, than to retain a public honour which precludes me doing so at this time, I resigned my post.”
Mr Ashenden had criticised the reading of the Koran during an Epiphany service at St Mary’s Cathedral in Glasgow earlier this month in an attempt to improve interfaith relations in Glasgow.
A student read a segment relating to the birth of Jesus Christ in Arabic. Islam considers Christ to be a prophet but not the son of God.
Mr Ashenden, who has served as one of the Queen’s 34 chaplains for nine years, said the reading had caused “serious offence”.
The provost of St Mary’s, Kelvin Holdsworth, said similar interfaith readings had “happened a number of times in the past in this and in other churches, and have led to deepening friendships locally, to greater awareness of the things we hold in common and to dialogue about the ways in which we differ.”
Mr Ashenden told BBC Radio 4’s Sunday programme: “The problem with what happened in Glasgow was that, although it was presented as a way of building bridges and a way of educating people, it was done badly, in the wrong way, in the wrong place, in the wrong context….(read more)
- Christians Complain About Muslims Blaspheming Christ In Anglican Church During Services, Now UK Police Are Investigating Christians For “Hate Crimes” Against Muslims (shoebat.com)
- Former Bank of England governor Lord King says the UK should quit the single market (businessinsider.com)
- Grammar schools could ask parents for up to £40 a month to make up funding shortfalls (telegraph.co.uk)
- The royal family has a stark end of the year warning (mashable.com)
- Nick Robinson spears ‘DELUDED’ Salmond over IndyRef 2 claims in brutal BBC interview (express.co.uk)
- Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn Is Considering Maximum Wage Laws (thefader.com)
- UK has lost ‘one of the greatest experts’ on EU, says ex-Foreign Office chief (ukprogressive.co.uk)
- Queen’s chaplain resigns over cathedral Koran reading row saying he has a ‘duty’ to defend Christianity (telegraph.co.uk)