How Liberals Killed the Freedom of MovementPosted: January 27, 2017
By suppressing debate about Islam, nationalism and terror, the left set the stage for today’s backlash, says Sohrab Ahmari in The Wall Street Journal.
Sohrab Ahmari writes: Donald Trump’s double-layer fence along America’s southern border, and his plan to suspend all immigration from terror-producing countries, are dramatic and consequential pieces of public policy. But they’re also palliative symbols. The message they send to the president’s supporters is: “Your days of anxiety are behind you. We will be a coherent nation once more.”
Politicians across the West are beginning to tell their voters the same thing in what is shaping up to be the widest rollback of the freedom of movement in decades.
It’s not just right-wing nationalists like Marine Le Pen in France or Hungary’s Viktor Orbán. Centrists get it, too. Some, like Angela Merkel, are still-reluctant restrictionists. Others, like Theresa May, Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte and French presidential aspirant François Fillon, are more forthright. All have wised up to the popular demand for drastically lower immigration rates.
The paradox here is that freedom of movement is unraveling now because liberals won central debates—about Islamism, social cohesion and nationalism. Rather than give ground on any of these fronts, they accused opponents of being phobic and reactionary. Now liberals are reaping the rewards of those underhanded victories.
Liberals “won” the debate about the link between Islamist ideology and terrorism.
For eight years under President Obama, the U.S. government eschewed even the term “Islamism.” The preferred nomenclature created the ludicrous effect that U.S. service members were sent to war against people passionate about “violent extremism.” But voters could read and hear about jihadists offering up their actions to Allah before opening automatic fire on shoppers and blasphemous cartoonists.
Mr. Obama’s linguistic exertions didn’t repress the truth. They merely opened the space for others to express it—and sometimes to grossly distort it, by suggesting, for example, that all 1.4 billion Muslims are terrorists or terrorist sympathizers and should be denied entry into Western homelands….(read more)
- Nationalists in Europe celebrate Trump (sfgate.com)
- Wal-Mart to cut hundreds of office jobs: WSJ (thegazette.com)
- A Dam Bursts: New York Times Uses Word ‘Lie’ In Headline About Trump (crooksandliars.com)
- WSJ: Reporter detained in Turkey for nearly 3 days released (wbrz.com)
- GERMAN VICE CHANCELLOR: The EU ‘could fall apart’ if populists win the Dutch or French elections (businessinsider.com)
- WSJ: Ex-U.K. spies, now consultants, behind report claiming Moscow has Trump-linked sex footage (japantimes.co.jp)
- SEC now investigating Yahoo’s massive data breaches (mashable.com)
- ‘We cannot continue as before’: France’s presidential hopeful Fillon says Europe needs a ‘jolt’ (businessinsider.com)
- Research for WSJ raises concern over just how much Google advertises its products on its own ad platform (9to5google.com)