Democrats are Becoming the Party of SecessionPosted: February 1, 2017 | |
Michael Goodwin writes: Let’s agree that President Trump’s travel ban on visitors from seven nations was a sensible idea hobbled by flaws, especially regarding green card holders and dual citizens. Let’s also agree we haven’t seen a rollout this clumsy since the debut of ObamaCare, which was far more serious because it penalized millions of Americans while Trump’s order inconvenienced hundreds of foreign nationals.
Still, we can assume, based on past performance, that Trump will learn from the mistakes. His fierce determination to be a successful president cannot co-exist with rookie blunders.
But what about the other players in the drama? Can we say the media will now correct its excess of bile and cover Trump as a legitimate president and not as an invasive species?
No, no, no. On the contrary, we must say that Trump aide Steve Bannon was on target when he called the Washington media “the opposition party.”
Don’t take his word for it. Stick a toe into the toxic sludge that passes for straight-news coverage in the Washington Post, the New York Times and others.
Look for the use of tell words like “Muslim ban” to describe an executive order that is no such thing. Look for hero worship of protesters, immigrants, refugees, lawyers rushing to the barricades and congressional critics.
Look, too, at the Twitter feeds of editors and reporters from those papers and the major networks. You’ll see their embrace of everything anti-Trump, further evidence they are part of a movement to obstruct the president, not cover him.
Consider, too, their rediscovered love for Republican Sen. John McCain, a man they ignored during the eight-year reign of their savior, Barack Obama. McCain is again the good maverick because he is bucking the media’s permanent enemy, Republicans.
Yet if the media is the opposition party, what is the Democratic Party? It’s supposed to be the loyal opposition, using checks and balances to restrain the president and the excess of one-party rule.
Unfortunately, the Dems are following a dangerously different path. Starting with a wide boycott of the inauguration and including their boycott of committee votes on Trump’s cabinet and their pledge to filibuster any Supreme Court nominee, Democrats resemble a party fomenting a secession movement.
Some call it Trump Derangement Syndrome, but that’s too kind. It’s not a temporarily insane reaction, it’s a calculated plan to wreck the presidency, whatever the cost to the country.
Things never seen in the modern era are now rapidly becoming common. Impeachment talk already is rumbling in the party’s hothouses, and Trump was met with a lawsuit the minute he took the oath.
Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi, the top Dems in Congress, led a raucous demonstration Monday night, as if they are community organizers. And Obama couldn’t bear the irrelevance after eight days out of office and felt compelled to encourage disruptions.
This is Third World behavior and it’s now the M.O. of one of America’s two political parties.
Then there’s California, the epicenter of Dem strength. Radicals there, spurred on by pro-Mexico immigrants, are ginning up an effort to split from the United States and they might get a proposal on the ballot. I say we take their wine and let them go.
If California secedes and its 55 electoral votes come off the board, Dems will never win another American election. On the other hand, Hillary Clinton could become president of the breakaway state and the rest of us would be free of the Clinton stain.
Source: New York Post
- United States of Mmmerica: Barbecue Facts (Infographic) (friendseat.com)
- Donald Trump inauguration in pictures – protests and plaudits as a divided America prepares for the President-elect to enter the White House (telegraph.co.uk)
- Numbers of Irish Americans not going down – here’s the proof (irishcentral.com)
- This Dutch video spoofing Donald Trump is going viral (businessinsider.com)
- Iran and America’s Fixed Elections (pakalertpress.com)
- [VIDEO] Faily McWorseThanCarter Abroad: POTUS’ Full Speech To People Of Laos (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- [VIDEO] DIPLOMACY! Montage: 18 Times Obama Trashed America in Asia (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- ANSWERING THE STUPID QUESTIONS: Would racism exist if there had been no US slavery? The answer, … (pjmedia.com)
- Obama Is Misusing Federal Law to Expand Migration Further from Central America (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Biden: Terrorism Doesn’t Pose ‘Existential Threat’ To US Security [VIDEO] (dailycaller.com)