LOCKDOWN in DELAWARE: Prison Guards Held Hostage at Smyrna PrisonPosted: February 1, 2017
All Delaware prisons went on lockdown Wednesday morning due to an ’emergency situation’ unfolding at Vaughn Correctional Center near Smyrna, according to the state Department of Correction.
Department of Correction Response Teams and the Delaware State Police responded to a hostage situation Wednesday morning at James T. Vaughn Correctional Center in Smyrna, according to Jayme Gravell, a spokeswoman.
All Delaware prisons went on lockdown because of the situation.
Dozens of police vehicles, as well as ambulances, continued to pour into the entrance to Vaughn Correctional Center near Smyrna. Helicopters were also circling over the prison and the nearby areas.
Rep. William Carson, a member of the House Corrections Committee, said he had been told it was an “apparent hostage situation.”
“The inmates have taken over a building,” he said.
Carson said details were still scarce and said he had no more information.
DOC released no other details. Gravell said it is protocol to lock down all state prisons when an emergency occurs at one of them.
Staff were on scene trying to gather details and handle the situation, Gravell said. Area firefighters were called to the scene, she said, but the particulars of what prompted the call were not immediately available.
While few details have been released, officials will surely review what procedures were in place that created this situation just as they did when inmate Scott A. Miller abducted and raped a prison counselor on July 12, 2004.
Miller, a convicted serial rapist, was serving a 699-year prison sentence at the Delaware Correctional Center – now Vaughn Correctional Center – when he passed through two security checkpoints armed with a homemade knife before taking Cassandra Arnold hostage for nearly seven hours, sexually assaulting her during the ordeal.
The standoff ended when a corrections officer shot Miller to death….(read more)
- Disturbance causes damage at Massachusetts prison (wwlp.com)
- Suicidal inmate told ‘go ahead,’ before hanging himself, lawsuit says (mlive.com)
- Six Elayn Hunt correctional officers on leave after excessive force allegations (wbrz.com)
- State police: Prison standoff under control (bostonherald.com)
- At least 60 killed in Brazil prison riot: official (vanguardngr.com)
- Brazil Prison Riot Leaves At Least 56 Dead (newsy.com)
- Taliban releases video of captured US, Australian soldiers asking Trump to negotiate their release (businessinsider.com)