Judicial Watch Statement Regarding Judge Neil Gorsuch Nomination for the SCOTUSPosted: February 2, 2017
(Washington, DC) – Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton issued the following statement in response to today’s announcement of the nomination of Judge Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court of the United States:
President Trump’s nomination of Judge Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court is a victory for Americans who are fed up with corrupt judicial activism. The judicial branch needs as much draining as the rest of the federal government swamp. President Trump avoided the temptation to nominate yet another politician to the Supreme Court. It is good we have a nominee who has a demonstrated record of applying the rule of law rather than legislating from the bench. The U.S. Senate should swiftly confirm him.
In Michele Gorman’s January 27 profile piece on Neil Gorsuch for Newsweekmagazine, Fitton provided the following:
Tom Fitton, president of Judicial Watch, tells Newsweek that Gorsuch fits the Scalia mold, which Trump has promised to adhere to in his replacement nominee. “I think conservatives would consider him to be an exciting pick. I think it’s fair to say he’s a leader in terms of conservative jurisprudence and I think he quickly would become a strong voice on the court for his constitutional approach to decision making,” he says.
He adds, “Of the finalists that have been reported, I just don’t see any running into any opposition that would be significant enough that would derail their nomination.”
Source: Judicial Watch
- Trump meets Senate leaders on Supreme Court pick (thegazette.com)
- Top court rejects ‘right to be forgotten’ demand (japantimes.co.jp)
- Brexit appeal: how Supreme Court judges can stop a constitutional crisis (telegraph.co.uk)
- Trump will announce his Supreme Court nominee tonight on Facebook Live (techcrunch.com)
- Attorney General Seeks Two-Week Delay In Naming Of BCCI Administrators: 10 Points (sports.ndtv.com)