Inconvenient: Obama Life Sentence Commuted Drug Dealer Arrested With a Kilo of CocainePosted: February 6, 2017
A man whose life sentence for drug distribution conspiracy was recently commuted by former President Barack Obama is back in jail after allegedly crashing his vehicle while fleeing from a drug deal.
“Because you have demonstrated the potential to turn your life around. … Now it is up to you to make the most of this opportunity.”
— Former president Barack Obama when commuting Robert Gill
Robert Martinez Gill, 68, had his life sentence commuted by President Obama in 2015 together with other 1,700 federal inmates as a broader strategy to give relief to nonviolent offenders serving prison for drug offenses, the San Antonio Express-News reports.
He’d served prison time for cocaine and heroin distribution conspiracy since 1992. He also earned a legal education inside prison libraries and petitioned the president for a second chance after his court appeals were unsuccessful.
In a signed notification approving the commutation application in 2015, then-President Obama wrote that Gill deserves it “because you have demonstrated the potential to turn your life around. … Now it is up to you to make the most of this opportunity.”
On Thursday, however, he was arrested in San Antonio by the police after allegedly crashing his vehicle into another motorist while fleeing from a drug deal.
According to a criminal complaint affidavit, Gill contacted an unidentified person to arrange a drug deal involving a kilo of cocaine. After he received a black backpack and started driving, a sheriff’s deputy tried to pull him over.
The records claim Gill fled the police, but then collided with another motorist. … (read more)
Source: Heat Street
- ‘Robbery gone bad’ ends with 1 dead, 5 injured; suspects in custody (stripes.com)
- Barack Obama Commutes 330 Drug Sentences In Final Act As President (thefader.com)
- Texas economic index improved in October (mysanantonio.com)
- Among latest commutations: 2 dozen from Louisiana (wbrz.com)
- Got Kleenex? This Story Of A Convict Who Had His Sentence Commuted By Obama This Week Is A Doozy (bossip.com)
- Obama grants most commutations as Presidency ends (euronews.com)