[VIDEO] Ben Sasse: No Moral Equivalency Between the U.S. and Putin’s RegimePosted: February 6, 2017
Senator Ben Sasse (R., Neb.) is having none of President Trump’s false moral equivalence. On ABC’s This Week Sunday, Sasse expressed his distaste at the comparison of the United States and Vladimir Putin’s regime.
“Let’s be clear: Has the U.S. ever made any mistakes? Of course. Is the U.S. at all like Putin’s regime? Not at all. The U.S. affirms freedom of speech; Putin is no friend of freedom of speech. Putin is an enemy of freedom of religion, the U.S. celebrates freedom of religion. Putin is an enemy of free press; the U.S. celebrates free press. Putin is an enemy of political dissent; the U.S. celebrates political dissent and the right for people to argue free from violence about places where ideas are in conflict. There is no moral equivalency between the United States of America, the greatest freedom-loving nation in the history of the world, and the murderous thugs that are in Putin’s defense of his cronyism. There’s no moral equivalency there.”
David French writes:
…Trump said, “There are a lot of killers. We have a lot of killers. Well, you think our country is so innocent?” I’d like to focus on the follow-up, when O’Reilly gave him an opportunity to amend his statement:
O’REILLY: I don’t know of any government leaders that are killers.
TRUMP: Well — take a look at what we’ve done, too. We made a lot of mistakes. I’ve been against the war in Iraq from the beginning.
O’REILLY: Yes, mistakes are different than –
TRUMP: We made a lot of mistakes, OK, but a lot of people were killed. So, a lot of killers around, believe me.
In response, I’m reminded of a quote from our founder, William F. Buckley, Jr.:
[T]o say that the CIA and the KGB engage in similar practices is the equivalent of saying that the man who pushes an old lady into the path of a hurtling bus is not to be distinguished from the man who pushes an old lady out of the path of a hurtling bus: on the grounds that, after all, in both cases someone is pushing old ladies around.
When I was a young man living for the first time in the heart of leftist America, I was stunned at the number of books and lectures that made the case that there was no moral difference between the United States and its enemies. … (read more)
- After Witnessing Defense Sec. Mattis Get Sworn in, Trump Signs Two MAJOR Executive Orders on Defense (ijr.com)
- President Trump has officially taken over @POTUS (techcrunch.com)
- Top 10 Reasons President Trump Will Be A Great Success (listverse.com)
- MAX BOOT: Another Obama Apology Tour? I get what Obama is up to here. He thinks the U.S. can exer… (pjmedia.com)
- Obama Admin Has Given Costa Rica Nearly $1 Million To House Immigrants (dailycaller.com)
- One-third of Californians support Calexit (hotair.com)
- Biden: Terrorism Doesn’t Pose ‘Existential Threat’ To US Security [VIDEO] (dailycaller.com)
- Are You Suffering From Trump Acceptance Resistance Disorder (TARD)? (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- [VIDEO] DIPLOMACY! Montage: 18 Times Obama Trashed America in Asia (punditfromanotherplanet.com)