Marvel Comics to Abandon Social Justice Storylines?Posted: February 8, 2017 Filed under: Comics, Entertainment, Mediasphere | Tags: 20th Century Fox, A-Force, Avengers (comics), Beyonce, Captain America, Captain America Civil War, Comic book, Cover version, Hugh Jackman, Marvel Comics, Miss America (Marvel Comics), X-Men Leave a comment
The customers seem to have gotten through.
Tom Knighton writes: For a lot of comics fans, Marvel just isn’t what it used to be. While the comic line that gave us Thor, Captain America, The Hulk, and the X-Men has often been tinged with a bit of politics — for example, discrimination against mutants is common in the Marvel universe — recent comics from the company have been overwhelmingly political, and always politically left.
[Meanwhile, sales of comics are nosediving.]
[Read the full story here, at pjmedia]
Many fans have been less than appreciative. Luckily, it now seems those days are over:
Of late this kind of storytelling has become more pronounced, probably kicked off with the likes of The Authority, Ultimates and Civil War, with more recent stories in comics such a s Captain America, The Champions and Ms. Marvel wearing their politics firmly on their spandex sleeves.There has also been reaction from some fan communities and retailers to these kind of stories as having no place in superhero comics, despite all the many examples that have preceded it. Maybe it’s a little more obvious now? Maybe everyone is interpreting everything politically? Maybe fans wish for a time when they didn’t realise their superhero comics had political elements?
Either way, Marvel Comics has been a focal point for this kind of discussion … (read more)
The truth is, readers don’t like to be lectured to … (read more)
- X-Men’s Iceman gets his first gay kiss (pinknews.co.uk)
- Who wants to see Iceman’s first gay kiss? (queerty.com)
- Full ‘Black Panther’ Cast Revealed As Film Goes Into Production (slashfilm.com)
- X-Men: 15 Coolest Superpowers That Rogue Has Absorbed (screenrant.com)
- Comixology Digital Comics for Free: Wolverine, Winter Soldier, & more Marvel favorites (9to5toys.com)
- Beyoncé Inspires New Marvel Comic Cover (kymx.cbslocal.com)
- New ‘Logan’ trailer features Wolverine reading an ‘X-Men’ comic (mashable.com)
- ‘Supergirl’, ‘The Flash’, ‘Fuller House’ Among 2017 Nickelodeon’s Kids’ Choice Awards Nominees in TV (aceshowbiz.com)