Posted: March 8, 2017
Wiretapped Data Used In Intercepted Russian Communications Part of Inquiry Into Trump Associates
Andrew C. McCarthy writes: Now that the media-Democrat complex has been caught in its own web, there is some serious skullduggery underway. It’s revisionist history, Soviet style. You know, the kind where the bad stuff gets “disappeared.” The New York Times is disappearing its claim that Obama investigated Trump.
For four months, the mainstream press was very content to have Americans believe — indeed, they encouraged Americans to believe — that a vigorous national-security investigation of the Trump presidential campaign was ongoing. “A counterintelligence investigation,” the New York Times called it.
— Chris Farrell (@cjtfarrell) March 8, 2017
… As I contended in a column this weekend, it was essential for the media and Democrats to promote the perception of an investigation because the scandalous narrative they were peddling — namely, that Trump-campaign operatives conspired with the Putin regime to “hack the election” — required it.
Russia obviously did not hack the election. Russian intelligence services may have hacked e-mail accounts of prominent Democrats, although even that has not been proved. And there is even less evidence of collusion by the Trump campaign in that effort — as one would expect, in light of the intelligence agencies’ conclusion that the Russians sought to hack accounts of both major parties.
So, for this fatally flawed storyline to pass the laugh test, the Left needed the FBI. Even if the election-hacking conspiracy story sounded far-fetched, the public might be induced to believe there must be something to it if the Bureau was investigating it.
But when the election-hacking narrative went on too long without proof, the risk the Democrats were running became clear. If the FBI had been investigating whether the Trump campaign colluded in purported “Russian hacking of the election,” that meant the incumbent Obama administration must have been investigating the campaign of the opposition party’s presidential candidate.
Moreover, if such an investigation had involved national-security wiretaps under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), that would suggest that the Obama Justice Department had alleged, in court, that Trump associates had acted as “agents of a foreign power” — in this case, Russia.
Get it? If there is no hacking conspiracy — and there manifestly is not — the big scandal here is not possible Trump-campaign collusion with Russia. It is that the Obama Justice Department may have used its legal authorities to investigate the Democrats’ top political adversary. And not to be overlooked: This would have been done at the very same time the same Obama Justice Department was bending over backwards to whitewash the extremely serious criminal case against the Democrats’ nominee, Hillary Clinton. It would have meant Obama had his thumb on the election scale.
Source: National Review
- New York Times Editor: Trump Tweets ‘Wildly’ Boost Subscriptions (fox40.com)
- The New York Times redesigns pages A2 and A3 as “a quick and engaging roundup” (niemanlab.org)
- The New York Times wants to fuel political debate around what ‘the truth is’ with its latest TV ad (businessinsider.com)
- After Admitting Biased Coverage, The New York Times Has Oscars Ad about ‘Truth’. Trump Has Responded (ijr.com)
- Colbert skewers Trump with a parody of that New York Times ad (mashable.com)
- President Trump Says He Will Not Attend White House Correspondents’ Dinner (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Colbert says ‘sorry ISIS’ as Trump calls media ‘the enemy of the American People’ (stripes.com)
- New York Times, Nancy Pelosi cite fake General Flynn tweets (hotair.com)
- TODD STARNES: The mainstream media hates deplorables – and they aren’t fond of Trump either – VIDEO: Todd Starnes – Hate directed toward the Trump family is ‘despicable’ (foxnews.com)